1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
It was a pleasure working for Laing O'Rourke. People here were friendly from day one, always willing to give guidance and explain everything behind each task allocated. Integrating in the team was very easy and smooth and it did not take long before they started to give me real responsibilities.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
At Blackfriars teamwork was really good so after gaining some experience by shadowing and helping for easy tasks my colleagues would give me work to do that was closer to my abilities and would help my development. Hard work was appreciated and they would show appreciation for tasks that have been completed with a very good standard.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Support and guidance was very good. People were not hesitant to explain any questions I had or give me advice for my future career aspirations. Tasks were clearly explained and they were always willing to answer any further clarifications I needed on a specific task. Shadowing my line manager for a day to see his everyday work responsibilities and decision making was a valuable experience.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
People here are very reasonable with the amount of work that they will give you. If you are passive then do not expect to be busy most of the times. You have to complete the tasks given and ask for more in order to have a day filled with activities to do.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Due to the nature of the construction industry people are hesitant to give you very serious responsibilities due to the lack of experience. But after doing some shadowing and helping with basics I gained the full trust of my team and was given a lot of responsibilities, which was very good for me
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Skills gained during this placement will be extremely valuable during my academic life and professional career. Having gained these skills in a real life work environment helped me see how all these are applicable and what can be done to develop those skills even further. Health and safety training received will also be very important to many stages of my career
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
A very nice atmosphere. People here are like a family, they do have fun while maintaining all the professional standards required in a workplace. Various activities would take place through out the day that enhanced the work atmosphere. People here are really open and friendly and you can talk to anyone.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The early talent team has done a lot of work and has provided much input to make this internship experience active, challenging and fun. We had weekly online lessons and open discussions, organised presentations and we were allocated into teams to deliver a certain project. Moreover meeting at the HQ were orginised so that we could network and meet some of the recent graduates
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Some training was provided but not something specific.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Employment prospects within the organisation are very interesting! It provides a wide range of employment prospects thus giving students a good variety of choices. The construction industry is a hard place to work but also offers many employment prospects. You can either focus on more technical stuff or more practical ones.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Although I was the only summer and industrial placement student on my project the early talent team ensured that we had interaction with other interns based on different sites by assigning us a project to be done in a team of 8 students. This meant that we had to orginise skype calls and ensure good collaboration between us
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
cost of living was quite high
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Working in London means having unlimited things to do. I really enjoyed working in London as over the weekends I had all the choices i wanted. From restaurants, bars, clubs or theatres. Although it is expensive to live here having the chance to choose from a range of activities makes having a placement really fun.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?