1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
My internship was very demanding and at times stressful. However I was always engaged, never felt bored and ultimately had a great summer, notwithstanding the fact that I was working for the full 10 weeks.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
In almost all cases I felt that the people around me were truly interested in making sure that I felt like I was part of a team. Although there are always exceptions, the company has possibly the most inclusive culture possible, sincerely encouraging everyone, even interns, to question the status-quo and give an input.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The company provided us with several points of contact including mentors separate from our managers. At all times I always felt like there was somebody I could go to with a problem and I never felt like anyone was bothered when I asked for advice.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Extremely busy, during working hours, but I rarely had to work after 18:00 and all in all enjoyed a good balance.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
We were given client facing roles from day one. Which means that we were very autonomous and responsible for very real tasks from for the entire 10 weeks.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The knowledge I acquired exceeds that which I had built in the same field while studying for my degree. Furthermore I honestly feel that the hard skills I developed will be the backbone of my future career.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
With a few very rare exceptions, people were very happy to come to work, always interacting in a friendly manner and generally creating a very convivial atmosphere. The culture was also very opened, making me feel open to sharing my ideas and truly giving me access to anyone in the office.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship was very well set up. We had multiple activities planned and they really contributed to creating a great intern cohort, balancing work related things with fun.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
To the extent that we were basically paid only to learn. I'd say that up to 70% of the internship was invested in training, with the remainder of the time dedicated to a series of client interactions which, I would argue, were possibly more beneficial to us, for learning purposes, than to Bloomberg.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
There is a position for nearly anyone who is driven and passionate about something. The HR department is also extremely helpful in guiding you to the right position, even when this may be different from the role you are currently in.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I could not have asked for a better cohort of interns.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
London is London, but Bloomberg pays accordingly.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There's something for everyone's tastes.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?