Allocation Anlayst: reviewing sales performance and trends to create weekly shipping strategies.
Buying: Providing support to the buying team through trend research and comp shops. Shadowing on buyer/ vendor meetings.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I have thoroughly enjoyed my placement year with TJX, the responsibility and support I was given during my time really helped me to develop and gain confidence.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was made to feel a part of the team straight away, I was always encouraged to contribute my thoughts and opinions during meetings. The companies culture was really reflected in the office environment I always felt supported by others.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The training I was given within the first 12 weeks gave me all the knowledge and skills needed to carry out my role. I had weekly one to ones with my manager where I could discuss and queries and work on my strengths and weaknesses to develop.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Each day had set routines and deadlines this led to some days being busier than others. Monday was the busiest day, the rest of the week was very self led following up on actions taken from Monday meetings. If there was a quiet week there was always opportunity to carry out research or spend time with different teams.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Whilst on placement I was given the same amount of training and responsibility as those on the graduate scheme, I was responsible for the shipping of my own department however it was also very self lead giving me the chance to push back if I felt it was too much.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I was able to apply the skills and knowledge I had gained during the first two years of my degree to real life industrial situations whilst on placement and continued to develop these areas. I also gained transferable skills such as team work, communication and research which I will be able to apply in my final year and to future jobs.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Loved the office environment, it was so friendly and the culture really encouraged you to speak to as many people as possible. Throughout the year I was involved in a lot of team activities including business trips to stores and fun team building activities.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement structure changed a few times throughout the year.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The training provided also extended from skills needed for the job to personal development including workshops on communication skills and understanding personality types.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Throughout the year you are able to gain an understanding of the business and show how you could contribute to have the chance to return to the company as a graduate in a senior analyst role.
This is a great motivation and position to be in for the final year of university.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
With summer hours on a Friday this gave the opportunity for social events after work.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Close to London without the rental costs.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
A few places to go out in Watford- great transport links to London.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?