1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my time on my 6 week summer internship at PwC. Everyone I met was lovely and welcoming and made me feel at ease. The work was really interesting and the option to travel to different places was available which really offered a variety of work. I am so pleased I decided to go for this internship.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My colleagues made me feel at home from the second I walked in. PwC really values its employees as they are the core of the business, and so everyone is made to feel valued. PwC is great for pushing every employee to be the best that they can be and there is great support in place.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given support whenever I needed it immediately. PwC really looked out for me. My people manager was great at overall guidance, my buddy was better for more informal chats and questions, and my on-site manager was great at helping me whenever I was stuck on an engagement or had any questions relating to the business.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Most days I was very busy working through different engagements at the client site. This was when I was busiest as there was always different testing that needed doing and queries needed raising with the client team. When at the office it was more relaxed and less time-pressured but there was still always work to do. You dont need to worry about the stress of working too much as youre not expected to know everything or do everything as an intern.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
After the first week I was given more responsibility as I started to really understand what it was that i was doing. I was given tasks to do but they were always reviewed by the on-site manager and so you dont need to worry about going wrong and it being disastrous. Towards the end I was given more free roam of engagements and left alone to work through tasks.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
This internship really boosted my confidence and so I will be much better enabled to presentations and talking to new people. This is especially helpful for phone calls as on my internship i was calling people from all around the world. My business acumen has greatly improved, along with my leadership and technical capabilities. this will help with my degree when it comes to my dissertation and future interviews.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Really friendly and positive atmosphere.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Overall, well organised. The first week was a fun trip to a hotel for inductions and then a couple of days at the office for inductions. Immense planning was required for this. there was always work for me to do and people to engage with. However, i do feal the full week of inductions couldve been cut down by at least a day, as my second day at the office was a bit quiet with nothing to do.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
PwC really invested in trying to make me the best i could be. With support from different levels (people manager, buddy, on-site manager) I was able to progress quickly with my learning and knowledge of both PwC and the clients i was working on. Also several e-learns available to help improve knowledge on certain areas of accounting.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very appealing. Working at PwC seems great and the strive for personal improvement and progression is clear. The pay is very good and from speaking to colleagues here, the opportunity to progress through the ranks is readily available and seems to happen quite quickly. Also the chance to work abroad is also widely available after qualifying.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
yes and no. When we were all together it was great and we went for organised drinks and lunch. There is a monthly social event so we all went to that. However we were only together for about 3 days due to splitting off to different clients sites. But the monthly events seem fun and everyone gets involved.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
unsure as stayed with family.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
One opportunity - the monthly social. Only here for 6 weeks.