1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
It was a wonderful experience. The internship allowed me to develop an understanding of how an insurance company operates and learn about the various roles that there are.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt highly valued. Everyone was very friendly and easy to talk to. If I had difficulty with anything, people were always happy to help.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
In the beginning of the programme, my line manager and I created a form with tasks and objectives to focus on throughout the course of the internship. This helped me understand what work I would get involved in. I also received great explanation of my tasks and could always ask questions if I got stuck. Also, the regular meetings I had with managers and team leaders were very insightful in learning about the business.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The objectives form helped me to keep busy and manage my time so that projects I was involved in were completed on time. Some days were quieter than others, however there was always sufficient work for me to do.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Depending on the area of the business, I was given quite a significant amount of responsibility. For example, from the operations side, I was responsible for creating a tool for monitoring work flow within the branch I worked in.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
This experience helped me to improve my interpersonal skills, such as communication and team work, as well as time management. I believe these improvements will greatly impact my further development, especially in terms of the quality of work I develop and the relationships I build.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
There were no perks with
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
This was the first time I have gotten the experience the working world, and be a part of an office environment, and it was a great opportunity. I got to meet and work with some graduate students as well, which allowed me to get an insight into the graduate schemes the company has to offer. Overall, the experience has made such schemes very appealing to me.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?