1.7/5
  • The Company
    1.4
  • The Culture
    1.4

• 1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
  • Unfortunately I did not enjoy my internship as much as I had anticipated. The work received was not necessarily challenging or insightful and despite my best efforts to work within various teams, it was made clear that my assistance was required in a team where I was merely uploading attachments from emails onto PEGA for the majority of my placement.

• 2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
  • It became a common theme that I was always delegated menial tasks such as filing and scanning – of course I was happy and willing to help with these tasks but did not expect it to be a daily duty with no thanks or support from other colleagues. With that said, there were a couple members of staff who recognised that I was capable of more and was here to learn and tired their best to ensure I was appreciated more in terms of the work I was given. Unfortunately there was only so much they individually could do.

• 3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
  • I do not feel that I was given adequate guidance or support from my line manager. Naturally this was difficult due to him being based in Scotland, and me in the Midlands - I saw my line manager a total of 3 times in 10 weeks. Despite attempts to ensure regular phone calls, he admitted that he chose to leave me alone, prioritising other work despite knowing that I was unhappy in the department I was working in. A week before the end of my internship, he explained that it was up to me to shape my placement, which I felt unfair to expect considering I had no experience in a Bank, and didn't know where to start with exploring this with no advice at all. Similarly, the leaders of the team I worked within communicated with my line manager, rather than myself with any queries about the work I was undertaking which made me feel extremely uncomfortable. When working on a project with my line manager, there was some guidance as to what was expected of me but I very much felt alone with the tasks I had to complete.

• 4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
  • The first two weeks of my internship were spent shadowing and I didn’t have any work to do at all besides the mandatory training (which I was able to complete within the first couple of days). I was constantly asking for more work but just found myself being passed between colleagues who didn’t really know what to do with me. I was given responsibility whilst working on the projects with my line manager, and for 2-3 weeks I was somewhat busy with weekly conference calls and my tasks for this. But I feel that there were only 2 days where I felt 'busy'. The last week of my internship picked up, with a colleague taking me under her wing and involving me in the promotion and advertising of the signature event 'Walk the Talk' which made me feel productive.

• 5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
  • On a daily basis, I don't feel that I was given much responsibility, with tasks including filing and scanning. I often worked the inbox which involved uploading attachments that were emailed but again, this was not so much a responsibility as it was reducing the number of emails by working the simple emails. I was given some responsibility by my line manager when working on his project, and also by being asked to create a Career Journey Video (which was entirely my responsibility). Further responsibility came from a colleague who enabled me to advertise and promote the signature 'Walk the Talk' event.

• 6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
  • I feel as though I have developed skills such as resilience which I am reassured will be of use in later life. I think the mandatory training received has limited usefulness, if I were to work in a Bank in future but not otherwise. Similarly, the skills learnt to upload attachments onto PEGA is limited to Lloyds. I am certain that upon reflection of this internship in the future, there will be more skills that I have taken away than what I can list here.

• 7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
  • The general atmosphere was quite tense at times due to there being the announcements of redundancy within the first few weeks of my internship. This seemed to create a divide in the office between certain teams. But when working within each individual team, most colleagues were friendly and welcoming, and a few in particular were a good laugh.

• 8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
  • I don't think the internship was organised at all. I expected there to be set work for me from day one of my placement, with a clear structure and goals/expectations for me to achieve. However, it felt very much as though no one knew what to do with me, and instead they passed me between colleagues to shadow for 2 weeks until I eventually fell into a role (almost by accident). Although, the development journey sent out by emerging talent was of a really good structure, and I found this extremely useful.

• 9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
  • Not at all. I feel that I was the only one concerned about my personal development, with my line manager leaving me to try and develop this alone with no guidance. I did not feel invested in as a potential future employee (which is possible following the grad scheme) and felt no encouragement to return for a second internship next year.

• 10. What were the perks on your work placement?

• 11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
  • Future employment prospects within Lloyds became extremely easy for me to dismiss. The only reason I would give it another chance is because of a colleague who has a daughter who rolled off on the grad scheme following two summer internships and she assured me that the experience I have had is not representative of what it should have been (or will be in the future).

• 12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
  • I was the only intern in my office for the majority of my placement (with the only other intern opting to shadow in London as this was her preferred location) and so I did not have the opportunity to socialise daily within the workplace. Although, I am fortunate enough to have met a group of scholars who study at the same uni as me through the intern & scholar challenge. We have met up in a social scene as well as working for the challenge, and plan to do so after our internships too.

• 13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
  • I lived at home and commuted to work which I received no financial support towards despite having to contribute to my living costs (£300/month for rent and £20/week on petrol). The odd meet up with scholars in Birmingham was considerably inexpensive though.

• 14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
  • No nightlife.

• 15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
  • Not that I can think of.

31st August 2018