Supply Chain Intern at Tesco

Business Analytics Logistics and Operations

6.3/10

7.3

4.0

Overall, I did enjoy my time with Tesco. While there were certainly difficulties, the main factor that made it enjoyable was the people here. It really is a chill and inclusive environment. Everyone is still very hard-working and gets their tasks done, but it is not nearly as intense as somewhere like a consultancy or a bank. While my project was not the most interesting and definitely came with its challenges, my team made up for that as we were often laughing together and having fun.

Obviously this differed for me based on how much I worked with certain colleagues. The ones that I worked with the most in my team were amazing and I absolutely loved them and they made me feel so welcome. Everyone else were extremely friendly whenever I came to them with a question or issue. The people here truly are amazing. You will probably hear this a lot from anyone who has worked here and it's because it's true; my colleagues were the best part about my internship.

My line manager, who I worked next to everyday and spent the most time with was incredibly supportive. If I ever needed help, no matter how occupied she was, she would help me with whatever I needed. However, the managers above her played quite a distanced role and were not too involved in the tasks I was doing. I think this made my project much more difficult, especially when these managers had different ideas of the tasks I should do to approach my project.

This changed for me dependent on how my project was progressing. At the beginning, I was learning to use SQL and familiarizing myself with everything and talking to different people about my project so I was not too busy at all. However, when my project began to pick up pace, I found myself being quite busy. Especially for the last few weeks I was very busy.

I was definitely given a lot of responsibility on my project. While this sounds ideal and something that I thought was great at the start, I think my project was so challenging that I needed a lot of help to approach it. This being said, I think if I had gotten a little luckier with my assigned project, the amount of responsibility I was given was great and very empowering.

This is hard for my to say as I'm not exactly sure what I will want to be doing in the future. However, learning to use SQL and getting very familiar with excel are skills that I hugely enjoyed developing and I am very happy that I got the opportunity to do so.

Light-hearted and joking but everyone definitely worked hard and got their jobs done.

I thought it was well organised from a support standpoint but I'm not too sure how well the projects were thought out as it seemed for mine, no one really had suggestions on how I should approach it and it was received with a lot of scepticism, additionally the training document for SQL, which I used a lot was quite poor and didn't encompass many things that I used.

The technical skills I learned were fantastic and I think my team supported me greatly with this. As for other skills, there was nothing special that I hadn't already heard or known about.

This is a difficult question for me as I truly did enjoy working with everyone here and learning a lot, but my experience with my project was not the best and if hypothetically, the projects I would work on, if I was here in the future, were of similar difficulty, I'm not sure if I would enjoy that at all. However, I do believe if I had a project that I genuinely enjoyed doing, my view on coming back to Tesco would be much more positive.

Within the workplace, it was great. However, as the campus is in Welwyn, which is quite a boring city to be blunt and most people drive from all over, it is very difficult to arrange social events outside of work.

I rented a room in Welwyn for £750 pounds a month through spare room. Quite expensive for what you get but it was really nice to be close to work.

Welwyn Garden City is definitely not the place to go if you're looking for good nightlife.

There were a few fun socials. I enjoyed going to a trampoline park with fellow interns / analysts. As for volunteering opportunities or sports, I wasn't made aware of many but if I had looked harder, maybe I would have been able to find more opportunities.