Summer Associate at Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)

Banking/Finance

Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) is a Top Employer

7.2/10

7.4

5.5

I was given lots of genuine case work, which gave me a real insight into the work of the Enforcement division at the FCA. I also completed shadowing in other divisions which has given me first hand experience of the Financial Conduct Authority, as well as different parts of the Financial Services Industry.

Imagine yourself working at Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 1 role at Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)

As I was assisting my colleagues with actual case work, I felt highly valued.

When I was struggling with any piece of work, they were supportive and gave me direction to keep me on track.

I regularly received feedback to help me improve the quality of future work I completed within my division.

Every member of staff at the FCA who I have approached for help has been supportive and found time to help me. I also regularly met with colleagues from different divisions, and this enables me to learn more about different areas of the Financial Conduct Authority. I received guidance on all work I completed.

From my first full day I was given work to complete, and I have been busy throughout the internship. My colleagues ensured that I had multiple work streams each day in order to keep me busy, and to challenge me. If didn't have any work, I asked for work and I was promptly given it.

From the beginning of the internship I was given quite a lot of responsibility, with my work being used in investigations the team are currently conducting.

I was also given work that covered the whole range of the investigatory lifecycle, and this gave me a well rounded insight into the work of the Enforcement division.

I believe that I have developed my professional and interpersonal skills, which will support me during my future career.

I also believe that other soft skills I have developed, such as organisation; time management; and communication; will also support me with my future studies, and then my careers after I complete my masters degree.

Imagine yourself working at Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)

The atmosphere in my office was calm and supportive.

The internship started with a two and a half day induction, which gave a broad overview of the Financial Conduct Authority's structure and purpose. After the induction, we joined our teams in which we would be working for the rest of the internship. Overall the internship at the Financial Conduct Authority is well organised.

The two and a half day induction provided support in terms of how to communicate, as well as certain skills needed to be successful at the Financial Conduct Authority.

We were also encouraged to complete work shadowing in different sections of the Financial Conduct Authority, in order to gain a better understanding of the financial services industry.

The future employment prospects within the Financial Conduct Authority are promising. Within the last few years, most interns have received job offers for the graduate scheme.

The graduate scheme allows internal rotations as well as an external secondment.

Having spoken to several graduates during my internship, they say that the graduate scheme is challenging and a steep learning curve.

There was a good social scene amongst my fellow students/colleagues. We frequently went for post work drinks, and on the odd occasion we also went for food. There are lots of bars/pubs/restaurants in Canary Wharf, however part way through the internship we relocated to Stratford, which has fewer (but still some) bars and pubs.

London as a whole is an expensive place to live. Canary Wharf is very expensive as there are many offices there. Stratford is a bit cheaper as it's further out of London and has less offices.
I lived at home and commuted, and this saved me a lot of money on transport costs.

Canary wharf = offices
stratford = shops

yes, there are some sports/activity clubs to get involved in.