1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I have enjoyed my placement immensely. Working on a brand new product built with modern technologies in a company that is developing at a fast rate means that there has never been a dull day.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Working on a small team means that everyone is an important part of the team, regardless of whether they are a placement or not. Many of the staff were once placements which means that placements are valued as a key part of the business.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I had a lot of support, if I had questions there was always someone available to ask. My work was reviewed by others and much of it reviewed by the director of development who would give feedback so I could go back and improve it.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I always had work to be doing, and never found myself working on “throwaway” projects. Everything was an important part of the product.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a lot of responsibility when implementing new features, with the freedom to make decisions on aspects of how they should work. I also worked on a separate project we were creating for another company, with a lot of responsibility to design and implement a large feature.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills I have used and developed could not be more relevant to my degree, the work is exactly as described on the job website. All the technologies I have used could be applied to other jobs.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was positive and collaborative. A few months into my placement we moved into a new office (one minute away from the first) with an open plan design which increased collaboration between departments. This makes everyone feel like they are working in a cohesive team with a real effect on the company.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The company has a strong focus on placements as a key part of the business. After a few weeks of training on many aspects of the business we were inducted into our departments where we would spend the rest of the placement. This meant I felt that I had a good understanding of the business and was ready to carry out my role to the best of my abilities.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
My work was reviewed by my manager and coworkers which meant that I was always developing. There were also training sessions held throughout the year for all employees and personal reviews to help develop staff including placements.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Many staff were once placements, and have advanced to significant roles in the company. For example the director of development was a placement as well as other senior developers.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, most people lived in Oxford and socialised often.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The cost of living in the area is generally low. High Wycombe, Oxford and Maidenhead are nearby so there are lots of options to live in an area that suits your price range.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There are regular activities held throughout the year.