1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my placement at Centrica, I built strong friendships with the other interns. I was heavily encouraged throughout the internship to have a good work-life balance; this really increased my enjoyment and is something I believe is quite unique to the company.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Despite being an intern and only part of the company for a short while I felt like part of the marketing team. I was given lots of support throughout and it was always made clear that if I had a question or a problem I could go to my team, or someone from another department.
My colleagues also provided me with regular feedback which was helpful to grow during the placement.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I had regular catch-up with my manager where I was provided with feedback and guidance on projects.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The workload was variable week by week. I was on the Commercial Marketing placement and felt that the amount of work I was given struck a good balance. I never felt overwhelmed from a large workload and sometimes found myself asking for more work, but due to my relationship with my teams this was something I felt confident doing.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Centrica are not afraid to give the summer placements real responsibility from day 1. As expected, I initially relied on my manager to take my through the different software used, but by the end of the placement I was given the opportunity to use some of the marketing budget to run my own ads which was very exciting.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I believe the skills I have gain will be extremely valuable as I progress. Before the placement I had never worked in a corporate environment, therefore I had to quickly develop skills in communication and time-management. I was encouraged to be very analytical of the data and question the status quo which I will carry forward to future roles.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere at Centrica is something that really made my placement, there was definitely a community feel within the workplace.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
It was clear that the placement was well organised, we had development days where we could mix with the other interns and were given excel and presentation training sessions which came in very handy.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?