1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
It was a great experience, since I had the chance to learn a lot and understand the sectors I am most interested in. The variety of activities proposed allow for learning and developing new skills that will be useful in my future career and also outside of the work environment.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The management/supervisors were really supportive and always willing to explain notions, projects and different things whenever possible. They left me space in order to see what I was capable of doing but were always there in case I had questions or doubts related to the specific projects or more in general the job.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The amount of work to carry out varies from team to team and depends on the availability of supervisors. In general, I was always pretty busy working on projects or smaller tasks to assist the teams or to develop new skills and knowledge related to the products of the team.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
The amount of responsibility I was given as well changed depending on the team and on my set of skills. In terms of the projects, the full responsibility was on me, but in many cases I was not involved in the real everyday job, mainly due to low level of experience in the specific fields.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills and notions that I learned will be extremely useful in continuing my studies. I have now a better and more thorough understanding of many topics and I have been able to see how they are used in the workplace everyday. I think it will be easier now for me to relate new notions to this experience.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in the office was very friendly, professional and encouraging interns to ask questions and talk to all the people that we needed to. People were always willing to find the time to speak with interns and were always available for explanations of every sort, and for giving advice and support throughout the whole internship.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship was very well organised and every step was clearly explained to us. In particular, the activities to carry out were numerous and it was helpful that they were well organised. In some cases maybe there could be more attention to the timing of some challenges or games, but overall the internship was very well organised.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The intership starts with a one week training on the basics of financial markets, excel and Bloomberg. It was useful to review subjects previously studied and learn new aspects of Bloomberg and how to best make use of it. Moreover, during the course of the internship we had a Python lesson which was useful even though it only touched the surface of the program.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Future employment prospects with the firm are very appealing since I liked the company's culture, environment and I really liked the job carried out by the various teams. I think this was a great experience and Nomura seems like a really good place to explore the financial world and job environment.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
In London there are always interesting things to do and see, there were no activities organised by the company outside office hours and I think it was the right decision to be made. The city offers a full range of activities and everyone is able to find what they prefer to do.