1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my summer internship at Nomura. The internship scheme as a whole was very well organised with insightful overview sessions from all the divisions within Finance. I particularly loved working in Treasury. I loved the wide variety of work and responsibilities I had. My team were very kind, supportive and approachable.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My team in particular were very encouraging and made me feel like a part of the team from day one. I also became good friends with the rest of the Finance interns, who were all very helpful. Overall, all my colleagues were keen to help me. I enjoyed working with everyone and getting to know them.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager and senior members in the team were fantastic. I learnt a lot from all of them. They were very encouraging and supportive. They all ensured that they caught up with me on a regular basis. They all guided me very well. They helped me develop and enhance my understanding of concepts. They gave me great feedback to help me improve and go the extra mile.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Definitely the perfect balance. I enjoyed the variety of work I had and that everyday was different for me. Along with my daily and weekly tasks, I was constantly learning about new concepts and processes. The overview sessions and meetings helped to give us a break from the desk as well.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was really happy with the level of responsibility I was given. I enjoyed a challenge and I certainly became more confident as the weeks went by. I wasn't afraid to ask questions and could easily get important projects checked by senior members of the team. My team members were very approachable which made bigger responsibilities appear smaller.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The excel skills that I developed will really help me in any future career that I choose, especially in Finance. The treasury specific concepts will help me in economics modules in my degree. My enhanced understanding of the financial services market as a whole will strongly support me during my career in the finance industry.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Amazing atmosphere! Everyone went out of their way to help you and catch up with you on a regular basis.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Very well organised! The overview sessions, the training and the intern fundraising challenge definitely added to the experience- it was an amazing opportunity to learn and develop in the industry.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The first week of training was very useful and increased my confidence for the rest of the internship. The excel training workshop and the presentation workshop were particularly useful and informative. The regular review sessions were also a great opportunity to get feedback and catch up with your HR point of contact.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
There were no perks with
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very appealing. I hope to succeed in getting a place on the graduate scheme.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes everyone was very friendly and all the interns have become good friends with each other.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
London is quite expensive however if you were smart in where you went and what you bought, it was reasonable.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife in London is great. The oyster shed outside Nomura is a particular favourite spot for colleagues at Nomura.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There are several charity events that you can take part in through working at Nomura. Examples include the inter bank marathon and the whizz kidz fundraising challenge.