1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my time while at Travelport. It has been an incredible experience, providing the opportunity to learn and develop a huge set of skills which I previously would not have achieved. I have been able to meet some great individuals and learn so much. It will always be an unforgettable experience.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
From day one, I have always felt welcome from not just my immediate team but individuals across the business. I have always been involved in team meetings and am asked for my opinion on a large number of issues/decisions. I also feel like my opinion is heard and taken into consideration.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My line manager and team have been very supportive during my time at Travelport. They would always be there if I needed help or had a question and would time to help me understand. They would also show me better ways of doing a task and teach me useful skills.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
At the start I think it was a good balance, but at that time you are still learning so tasks take slightly longer. As time goes, you become more familiar and better at your daily tasks. There is a lot of ad hoc tasks, so there are times when you are more busy than others. This is were you can get involved in extra projects outside of your team etc.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I like the amount of responsibility I got given, there are a number of reports that I own and am responsible for completing each month. All, which my team rely on being completed on time and being correct. Also, I own a important SOX control for the financial close call process. In addition, there are certain queries in which individuals will come to me first.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The amount I have learned in my Placement year will be extremely valuable to use in the rest of my career and life. I have learned technical skills (excel, various financial systems and industrial knowledge) but at the same time learned and developed a lot of my soft skills which wouldn't have been able to do just studying my degree.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The office atmosphere is very welcoming and friendly. Always met with hello’s/greetings when walking around the office and conversations/catch-ups in the break rooms. As expected, you can tell when the very busy times for finance are in the office, but at the same time you see the opposite when times are quieter.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I think the placement was very well organised starting from the recruitment process, to my first day and then nearing the end of my time at Travelport. When we started there were a lot of events organised allowing us to get to know all the others on Placement and those who a involved in the Placement Program.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
We had a lot of good internal sessions about various different topics. Some of them provided us with larger insight into areas of Travelport which we may not have been familiar with, while others helped with more career type sessions. We also had various informal lunches with some exec members which allowed us to ask questions about there careers and experiences.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
There are no direct graduate schemes to come back to, however there are a number of previous older placement students who have come back for full time jobs straight after University.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes there was. At the start of the placement there were a number of social events made to allow us to get to know each other. We then became creating our own ones for after work and during the weekends. There were also a number of placement students living together.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I would want to say fairly average. I commuted a fair distance so can't really contribute.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The area directly around the office is a bit remote in terms of socialising. There are a number of pubs and places where you can get team lunches etc. but driving is required. Most of the time we would go to London or some towns near the office (Windsor) for nights out.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Travelport offer a social club which is very active and holds an event almost every month. These vary from go-karting, drinks out and theatre visits.