Northern Europe Consumer Marketing Placement Student (Hand & Body Team) at Johnson & Johnson

Maidenhead South West
Advertising Business Analytics Business Management Design E-Business Film/Photography Internet/e-Commerce/New Media Market Research Marketing Public Relations Purchasing and Supply Retail

Johnson & Johnson is a Top Employer

8.3/10

9.7
9.4

Brand marketing, specifically in the Beauty Team on Hand & Body Skincare brand NEUTROGENA and AVEENO. From budget management to e-commerce this is a highly varied role which gives you a flavour of the different areas of brand marketing and the importance of cross functional collaboration in a large, global company.

I had a wonderful year at Johnson & Johnson, and feel readily equipped for life as a graduate. From developing core competencies to learning how to work effectively in a team, I built a skill set that will be of high value when entering the graduate world of work.

The support and opportunities given by not only my team but all the employees around me made me feel highly valued as a team. I was praised for good work and got regular feedback to allow me to develop myself. I felt like a highly valued manner of the team and was greatly involved from Day 1.

My manager was a great support, having weekly 1:1’s and quarterly formal feedback sessions. The open, friendly atmosphere in the office meant I always felt comfortable to ask for help or guidance when I was unsure on how best to complete a task.

A great opportunity but one that I had to work for- I was busy day in day out but the best thing was I was making a real difference to the team and I could tangibly see the results. The responsibility seemed overwhelming at the start but once I got more comfortable in the role it was great to be able to contribute so much.

I had to manage the entire media budget for the brand I was working on, and led a year long agency partnership. I also got the chance to lead all e-commerce activity and social media. I couldn’t believe how much responsibly I got but it was great. The first 6 months I assisted on projects, and in the last 6 months I was leading my own.

I now know I want to specially in e-business and so tailored by final year modules to this. Generally learning about how to act and work in a business environment but in the safety of a placement year was invaluable experience, something I will definitely take forward.

The people in the office were all so welcome and lovely, it was a great environment to be in. The only downside is the location, as being outside of London it’s more difficult to socialise with colleagues outside of working hours.

I couldn’t fault the organisation of the placement year. At the start I was set clear goals and objectives which I worked alongside my manager to create. I had structured and regular feedback and had a chance to feedback myself. We also go to complete a placement project on the side which was also a great experience.

Personal Development is huge at J&J, achieving goals and objectives is a high priority, and we also get the chance to have 360 degree feedback from our fellow colleagues to work out how best to improve.

I’m going back as a grad after I graduate. We have the chance to do early internal assessment centres and I was lucky enough to get a space for the graduate role in 2019.

It’s a bit harder to go out for drinks in Maidenhead compared to London, nonetheless we still went out as a group, just not too frequently. Obviously a large part of who you are working with so it hard to say if it’s the same year in year. Reading isn’t far and that is a good night out as well.

Cost of living is quite high, and the surrounding areas of Windsor, Ascot and Henley are all pretty expensive but lovely areas. There are a few pubs and clubs in Maidenhead, but nothing too crazy. Windsor and Reading are fun to go out in.

In Maidenhead itself there’s a Wetherspoons and some pubs and clubs but it’s very very average. London isn’t that far so worth going for a night out or drinks.

J&J organised Netball and Touch Rugby of which I did both and thoroughly enjoyed, but neither were for the whole year. The boys do football and have a pitch reserved weekly nearby. There are classes and the gym which we can go to as part of our subsidised gym membership.