1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I have enjoyed every minute of my placement year at Janssen of J&J. The level of responsibility we are given is exceptional and I have been made to feel like an integral part of the company since my first day of placement.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Everyone at Janssen has made me feel welcome and I have always felt that my contributions to the company are valued and respected. I have also never felt as though I have been viewed as a student within the company, but instead a valued employee.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager fully supported me throughout all aspects of my placement year and pushed me to try new opportunities so I could develop myself both personally and professionally.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
My workload varied throughout the year and I always had something to work on. Occasionally my capacity was at its highest but this enabled me to develop strong prioritisation and organisational skills.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
As mentioned above, throughout my placement year I have been given exposure to a wide variety of senior business leaders and had the opportunity to work on projects of a very high responsibility.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I feel that I have developed and enhanced a variety of transferrable skills that I will be able to take back to university in my final year. The difference in the person I am today from when I first started is huge.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The environment at the Janssen UK head office has always been very friendly and relaxed. All employees at the company are all friendly and welcoming- a credit to our J&J credo. I have always felt that I can approach any colleague no matter their seniority.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The opportunites and projects that I have been exposed to, in combination with the opportunity to do a wide variety of charity work has been outstanding. The structure of the programme could not be improved.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
We have been able to take part in a variety of training courses/programmes- this ranges from professional selling skills to presentation skills. There is also many opportunities to take part in learning & development programmes that are available throughout the year.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I am pleased to say that I have secured a graduate role with the company which is really helpful knowing that I have a secured job in place for when I return to my final year.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Each year, there is a group of students who get the opportunity to do so many things together both inside and outside of work. From doing the 3 peaks challenge for charity to social events in the evening.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Living in High Wycombe/Maidenhead is more expensive than being further North, however, the competitive salary of the placement programme ensured that finances weren't an issue.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There's loads of places to eat/drink in High Wycombe and there's also Bucks Uni Union and bars. However, there's so many places around High Wycombe to go out and being so close to London (25mins) really helped.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There's a wide variety of activies available outside of work, from company conferences and exhibitions to after work sports clubs etc.