Summer Analyst at Credit Suisse

Credit Suisse is a Top Employer

7.3/10

7.4

6.5

Thoroughly enjoyable experience with good exposure to the team's deal process as well as other teams. The analysts and associated were very friendly and helped a lot with the team-specific training when we joined our desk. The only negative was due to the nature of deal flow in summer, had some periods where there was not much work to do.

Colleagues were both friendly and helpful, treating the interns as equals from the day we joined. They took care in involving us fully in the projects we worked on and making sure we had any help that was needed. The team also made the interns feel very welcome at social events, including the team summer party.

To the extent that it was sought by interns, the supervisors provided full support and guidance on the tasks assigned by them. Especially during less busy periods, supervisors were keen to take time out and fully explain how certain processes and aspects of the job are carried out. If they were too busy, they would schedule time to chat later.

The workload varied a lot through the internship. Some periods were very intense with tight deadlines, but others were fairly quiet. The workload gradually increased over the internship as interns became picked up modeling skills and were able to be more useful. Even in the quieter periods, our supervisors ensured that we had other related tasks to do such as updating team reference materials.

The level of responsibility during the beginning was quite low but this definitely picked up over the duration of the internship. Due to the fact the role was quite technical and the team works to tight deadlines it was not always possible to give interns a lot of responsibility. Nonetheless, interns were often given full responsibility on less urgent tasks.

I do not study finance so the internship will not help me in my degree studies from an academic perspective, but it has taught me to be a lot more efficient with my tasks and time management. It will, however, stand me in very good stead for my future career.

The team atmosphere was what really made the internship so enjoyable. There was a strong culture of hard work and taking pride in what you do. At the same time, the team was extremely sociable and there was no one in the office I felt was not approachable. Having regular team nights out was also really good for the team spirit.

The first week of training was very well structured and scheduled to the hour. On the desk, there was less structure if you were not staffed on a particular project. That being said, there was always work to do and there was a clear schedule for events with all the interns.

The training agency that carried out the first week training did a very good job getting us up to speed on the basics - a lot of what I learned there was used throughout the internship and I will use going forward. Some of the team spent a lot of time teaching us how to model.

The bank is nearing the end of a three-year restructuring process (ending early next year) so they are intending to hire more aggressively, especially within our division given that it is one of the higher performing ones in the bank. The bank also offers very fast progression to senior positions for its employees.

The fellow interns and the team had a very good social scene. We often went for drinks or lunch as a team, and watched a lot of the World Cup games together. We also had a lot of fun with interns from different teams, who we also became good friends with and meet often.

The cost of living was relatively high given it was in London but it is cheaper to find accommodation near Canary Wharf than it would be in a more central area of London. Food and drinks in the Canary Wharf center tend to be quite expensive so you will find your spending increase quite a lot if you are not careful!

Nightlife in Canary Wharf is almost non-existent, most places tend to close around midnight due to licensing restrictions. However, since the office is in London, there are plenty of places to go out at night to suit all tastes, if you are willing to travel for half an hour or so.

The bank organized a day out on a farm in Essex where we carried out volunteering for the local community and worked on maintaining and refurbishing different parts of the farm. This was a good bonding experience for all of the interns and was a welcome opportunity to spend some time out of the office.