intern at Credit Suisse

Banking/Finance

Credit Suisse is a Top Employer

9.1/10

9.7

I enjoyed my internship so much that I can't think of a better way to have spent my summer. I learned a lot about things that were completely unrelated to anything I had studied before, and met interesting colleagues who were helpful and supportive, as well as being fun outside the office.

From day one, my colleagues were always available to answer questions, even very basic ones, and took time to explain concepts from scratch. They also began to give me tasks that were more complicated as I learned from them and became more knowledgeable and trustworthy. I feel valued as a contributing member of the team.

As I am the only intern in a relatively small team, I do not have an intern staffer to assign me work specifically. However, I have support and instructions from all the analysts in the team, and I also feel comfortable asking them for help. In addition, I have regular catchups with campus and a designated senior mentor.

Some days were more busy than others, but overall I usually had the right amount of work. If I felt like I had too much work and found it difficult to manage, I could turn to an analyst next to me and ask for help. On the other hand, I also felt comfortable asking people if there were tasks I could help with.

I think I was given the right amount of responsibility. In the beginning, I started with simple tasks as I had very little practical knowledge. As I learned more and became more experienced, I took on more complicated tasks that could be sent to clients, and seen by hundreds of people within the firm.

The skills that I developed will definitely be useful in whichever career path I decide to pursue. I have become much more proficient in Excel and Powerpoint, as well as Bloomberg. I have also improved at being aware of current news and writing relevant market commentaries. In addition, I gained experience in presenting and pitching ideas.

The internship was very well set up overall. We began with a week of training in basic skills, such as Excel and Powerpoint. We also have regular check ins with mentors, buddies, and HR in order to gauge how well we think the internship is going, and to ask any questions.

While I am the only intern in my immediate team, I am in contact with interns in other teams and catch up with them regularly for coffee or drinks. Occasionally we also organise large group weekend drinks. However, on most days, if I make after work drink plans, they are usually with colleagues from my own team.

Canary Wharf has a good variety of places to go for eating and drinking after work. Many places are quite upscale as most people work in finance, but there are also affordable high street brands. Most people eat out or order food instead of cooking, so food is the largest expense, but still affordable.

There are lots of bars in Canary Wharf that are all lively in the evenings, even on weekdays. There was usually some type of drinks event after work about once a week, which were always fun. There are no proper clubs in Canary Wharf, however, so you would have to go further into the city on a Friday.

Yes, there were charity events to get involved in, like a dragon boat race between different divisions to raise money for Age UK. All the interns also had a scheduled Philanthropy Day, which was a day out of the office for going to a charitable farm and doing physical tasks.