1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed my internship. I was lucky to work with a great team who were friendly and wanted to help me do well. The work was interesting and engaging and was valued by the team.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My colleagues took time to explain the work and gave insight into the job and the industry. The work I completed was valued and used by the team.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My supervisors were there to give guidance and answer any questions. The internship also had a mentorship programme for career guidance from a senior banker.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The internship was intense and I was busy often. The work was demanding and often kept me in the office late. In times when my work was light, I was doing extra training or reading up on the industry.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given responsibility from the start of the internship. I was given opportunities to work with people across the team, and in some cases directly with senior bankers.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills will be very useful in my future career. I learnt technical skills which will be useful in any finance role. I also developed my soft skills, such as networking.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was friendly. When spending long hours in the office, the positive atmosphere kept everyone motivated and happy.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
There was training for the first week of the internship which was well structured and covered a lot of content. There were also events organised throughout the internship, such as networking events.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The firm invested time on training the interns. The team also spent time training for industry specific skills. There was a lot to learn and it was a very steep leaning curve, and there was a lot of emphasis on self-teaching after training.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
There are good prospects within the firm and the internship has the potential to become a full-time offer.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, it was nice to have the other interns to spend time with and help each other out.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
London is an expensive city, and being in Canary Wharf was quite expensive.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There is good nightlife nearby or accessible by public transport.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were team activities and social events often. There is also a gym in the building.