Equity Research Summer Intern at Credit Suisse

Banking - Investment

Credit Suisse is a Top Employer

8.0/10

6.5

Really enjoyed the internship since the work was varied and interesting and I was given a lot of responsibility from the first week. Allowed to manage my own time and everybody was extremely helpful in answering any questions I had or introducing me to people from other areas of the firm.

A lot of the first few weeks was focused on training and familiarizing myself with the sector but overall, I did feel valued as part of the team since I was allowed to work on several large projects and contribute to premium pieces of research. I was included in all internal team meetings, calls and briefings and gathered data for client requests.

Given a lot of guidance by all members of the team if I had any questions. My supervisor was helpful in organizing regular catch up sessions so that I could update on my progress and ask for any further help/guidance. Any queries I had for other teams would be answered very quickly and most people were very helpful in organizing further sit down sessions to go through more technical aspects.

The work I was set ranged from short tasks that I had to complete on the day and long term projects which would last for more than two weeks, so I enjoyed the freedom of being able to plan out what I had to do each day for the longer projects but also having tighter deadlines to meet. Overall, I thought the work load was just right and was able to have some time to read up on concepts I did not understand.

I was given a lot of responsibility in terms of completing longer term projects which would be included in pieces of research and I could evidently see the contributions that I had made when these were published. Perhaps would have liked more responsibility in terms of working with the financial models but understand that this is not always possible especially during the busy earnings season.

Working with Excel will definitely be useful for the rest of my career and it was good to gain an in-depth and first-hand understanding of the analyst role in Equity Research. For my degree, the technical skills (e.g. financial modeling) are less useful but some applications to macro economics and data collection and analyses skills developed will be useful for both my studies and future career.

Overall good working atmosphere and interaction both within the teams and across sectors. Enjoyed the balance between busier earnings season and the quieter periods. The Research floor was relatively quieter than the rest of Global Markets as expected but I was able to shadow Sales and Trading and experience the atmosphere in several other divisions within the firm.

Overall very well organized with regular sector sessions to explain the stock drivers on the sectors we were unfamiliar with, and many opportunities to follow up with the presenters of those sessions. A good balance between educational aspects and individual work on the desk, as well as networking/social events to enable us to meet the wider Research department.

A lot of investment by the company in terms of training (first week was entirely Global Markets training with an external provider). As mentioned, regular sector sessions to educate us on technical aspects of other sectors and financial modeling. If I wanted to improve technical skills or look at other sector models, people were always willing to sit down and explain or send the file via email.

A few networking events were arranged for us in the first few weeks to get to know each other, especially with the wider Global Markets interns as well. More opportunities to socialize with our own teams since we were all split up into different sectors so did not interact much throughout the day.

A lot of charitable events to take part in, ranging from outdoor activities after work to regular fundraising in the office. Also had the intern philanthropy day at Lambourne End centre, helping out with gardening and other activities. However, since we were interning for a relatively short period of time, we were not exposed to the full range of activities and employee networks which other members of the team were actively involved in.