Summer Analyst Intern at Credit Suisse

Banking - Investment

Credit Suisse is a Top Employer

9.5/10

I very much enjoyed it right from the start - the training week was well organized (definitely one of the toughest in the Wharf but that meant we learnt a lot of useful skills), the job itself has been challenging but varied and rewarding, and the team is really lovely!

I felt very valued by all those I've worked with - from HR to the others in my team. I was given the chance to express preferences for verticals in my team and given the opportunity to go to a client meeting. They always seemed keen to hear my ideas.

To a large extent. In our team the main port of call was our staffer who always took the time to explain context and task clearly before the start of any job and was always on hand to answer questions. We also all had buddies and I sat opposite mine and was able to ask questions whenever

Very. The exception would be in training week when I tended to get in around 9 and leave around 6 (though we most often had overnight assignments), and the first week on the desks when we were only just starting to get staffings. After that point I have tended to get in by 9.30 and leave late and I feel busy throughout the day.

I was given a lot of responsibility throughout the placement. Understandably the team needed to check most of the work we did before it advanced to seniors / to the client, but I was nonetheless given responsibility for some important material some of which went directly into client discussion materials.

In my degree studies not at all, as I don't study finance or a finance related degree. However, it will certainly assist me beyond: the skills I developed over the internship are more or less in line with those I would be using on the job and this will help me greatly.

The atmosphere was great - people at all levels of seniority were always very friendly and willing to help out. Had coffee catch ups with a number of members of the team. There was an open door policy so we were able to pop into seniors' offices virtually whenever to ask questions.

Very well organized. All HR events were well organized with key speaker and networking events at periodic intervals from training week to the end of the program. Training week itself was also very well organized to cover all the basics of what we would need on the job. On the job was well organized - the staffer in each team allocates work well.

Credit Suisse invests a lot in interns. The main investment was probably in training week when they took great pains to make sure we understood everything we would need for the job, but they also have run training sessions since - both by internal staff (e.g. team specific training, supplementary modeling sessions) and external professionals.

Very. There is a clear organizational hierarchy and clearly defined career path, and both informal and formal networking sessions made us aware of what could lie ahead if we chose to follow that path. That said, the hierarchy isn't overly rigid and there is certainly space to shape one's own path

Yes there was a good social scene. The team tended to go out for drinks around once a week and organizes several bigger events per year e.g. cookery session / dinner / more extended drinks. The interns all tended to get on well and we regularly went for coffee or met up outside of work.

The cost of living and socializing in the local area is fairly high, but I think that's more or less inevitable in central London. Any intern in a big company in a big city will be faced with a similar problem. However, it is definitely possible to do things more cheaply

Canary Wharf is full of all manner of pubs and bars, and the team went to one of these almost every Friday evening. Not sure about clubs in Canary Wharf but in central London (not very far away at all) there is a huge number of pubs / clubs / bars.

Yes there certainly were. The Canary Wharf gym is in Credit Suisse and they had £90 intern offer available for the 10 weeks so lots of us bought a membership and went along fairly regularly. There were also a range of networks and societies to get involved with, principally regarding diversity.