1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my time at TUI, I was given a proper job and had real responsibility looking after several different destinations across both Summer and Winter seasons. There is a great mix between doing your day to day role and doing group work on business critical projects with the other placements.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
You are treated like any other member of the team and do exactly the same as everyone else. There is a really social atmosphere in the office and you are always welcome to join in. You are given things to look after and people will come to you for suggestions and help with certain things.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
You are given so much support from management and other people in the team. From when you first join the business starting a four week training plan to having regular 1-2-1's with your manager and the opportunity to work on a framework to progress as you develop in the role.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Being given the responsibility that you are it is up to you to conduct the analysis and suggest strategy changes going forward with your manager. There is a lot of support within the team and if you cant get something done people are always accommodating. There is also a good balance between doing the work and other social things going on in the office.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
You get given the same amount of responsibility as anyone else doing the role that you are doing. You are given several destinations to look after and the performance of those destinations is your responsibility. To put that into context you could be looking after several millions pounds worth of business.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Doing a placement has been an invaluable experience for me. I have developed skills in areas I would never have thought of and getting regular feedback throughout the year has highlighted points where I can improve and then where I have improved. Doing a full time job has meant I have had to develop skills which can be transferred back into university.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The office is very social and relaxed. People are always up for a laugh and chat but at the same time know when the work needs to be done and it gets done. Generally the team is very social and you will often find yourself doing various things after work.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement was very well organised with a great team running it. There is a Learning and Development team who work with you throughout the year and are always around for support. You also have regular placement team meetings discussing different things and getting insights into different areas of the business.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company really invests in you to develop personally both on the scheme and in your day to day roles. You are able to spend time doing half days in different parts of the business learning about what they do, complete business critical projects as a team and also work on development with your line manager.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
There is a real push for placements to return to the business and that is reflected in the time they invest in you to develop you. You can express an interest in returning to the business from an early stage and the team will work to get you a contract for before you leave.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There is a great social scene both amongst the other placements and other colleagues in the business. There is always events being organised for you to go along to and within the placement team you will find yourself spending a lot of time together doing various different things and going on nights out.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The area we live in is generally pretty cheap and there is a good amount going on. The surrounding area is very nice and there is a real social scene that isn't too expensive. You are so close to London as well and get there easily, quickly and very cheaply.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife is great, you are surrounded by places with lots of bars and different things going on. With London in touching distance if you wanted to venture a bit further then that's easy to do or if not the pub next to the office is regularly visited after work.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There is a team that organise events for people to get involved in and then there is also a lot of people that are involved in various sports clubs around the area so there is always someone that can point you in the right direction. The area is full of different sports teams and social places.