1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
This was a fantastic placement that was full of responsibility and engaging work. You really are one of the team here, if you weren't there, there would be someone on a full time contract doing it!
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Really valued, everyone was really approachable and patient. People are really keen to see you progress and develop within the year.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Weekly catch ups with my manager ensured my development was always a topic of conversation and objectives were regularly followed up. Additionally, it gave time to address any issues of the week or any concerns of the coming weeks.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
To start with the work load is enough to consumer your day due to not being fully trained or competent in all system but around half way it really picks up and all that knowledge accumulated in the first six months really gets used! It can feel hectic at times but it is manageable along as you stay relaxed!
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I looked after the pricing, cost base, strategy, quality and issues for Mexico (vallarta and cancun), Barbados, Cuba, Punta Cana, Jamaica, Costa Rica, St Lucia). You will be shocked at how much responsibility you will have here.You will also deal with business cases that are worth Millions of €. This is a place for those who want REAL responsibility
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
This placement will really help me going forward as it developed me so much. I learnt loads and the development and constant pushing from managers to do as much developmental opportunities possible will leave you well armed with professional skills at the end. I'll be able to produce pieces of work to a much higher standard and present much better and handle my time more efficiently.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
It was a really social atmosphere where people were really approachable. There was always something going on and always people at the pub on a Friday. Each month too there was guaranteed at least one event across commercial so there was always a time to meet people from across the wider department. TUI is really great at promotional activities too and have fun little things on at least once every couple of months. There's always a birthday and a cake!
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Really well organised! Since there is only 8 of you in a massive company there is a real focus on you. The L&D team and placement team were really on top of things and were always available for a chat despite them doing it alongside their own roles. Monthly meetings too made sure all bases were always covered.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
We had learning weeks, strengths finder tests, 360 feedback, half day learning sessions and time in other departments. At TUI they invest a lot of time in you and treat you like any other employee, they will push you to get the best out of you! Also you can follow development framework to measure that success to show how competent you are and how you can also handle your own development!
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
As long as you work hard and show a real passion for the job they will be keen to take you back! They invest so much time in you it would be a waste not to. Theres plenty of options too and they open that door to move around the business which is fantastic given the vertical integration!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
yeah there was a really good vibe between us all, five of us lived in a house together and we got on fine and had house parties, went for flat meals and had drinks between us all (placements). Since there is only 8 of you it means you get to really know each other and makes organising social events easier as there isn't 120 others to invite like at some places.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Luton was a really cheap place to love and we had a quality house. Its got great connections to Harpenden, St albans, London and Brighton. I know Luton is a bit of crap place but is cheap, has all the shops you need and London is a stones throw away (30 mins on the train, £10 travel card for the whole day including tubes)
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Not great but going out to harpenden and st albans and london which are all super close and have good night life. Batchwood anyone? Dont be put off by luton!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There was at least one event a month across commercial to get involved in, a running club, a choir, a theartre clubs and 7 a side football once a week.