IT Intern at Schlumberger

Milton South East
Computer and Systems Engineering Computer Science Information Technology Mathematics/Statistics

7.4/10

7.4

As a IT department we support the site and manage the IT infrastructure, software, hardware and networking. Part of my role has been to manage meeting room units (Evoko Manager and Evoko Liso Booking Systems), maintain the four Omnivex players around the building, ensure all IT equipment is working in each meeting room and running successfully and maintaining the click share unit’s firmware. I have also moved and set up desk stations, carried out IT and HSE induction for new employees and interns.
During the day I would help colleagues that drop into the IT and require help such as ‘Can’t connect to the SLB network’ or ‘Need their bit-locker key to unlock their PC or laptop’. I also worked with Linux to create new employees Linux accounts or to add and remove them from our LSF queues to run jobs on the clusters.
Throughout my year I have successfully set up training PCs for different courses running. This involved reimaging several PCs and laptop, installing and configuring varies software’s and licenses. I have also worked with our networking team to configurate all our conference phones to a new VLAN and set up new individual phone numbers and IP addresses.
Finally I have been training and handing over all my documentation to our new IT intern.

I personally enjoyed working on projects and tasks that allowed me to take lead and complete it such as setting up PCs for training courses and preparing for new employees starting. This allowed me to develop on my time management skills as everything had to be ready and set up for a deadline. Due to my position as an IT intern I was given admin and root access to many confidential systems on site. This made me feel very important and responsible and meant I had to work very carefully and sensibly with the trusted access I was given. Within the internship I was also given a lot of freedom to research and work independently.

All the colleagues made me feel valued

My manager has been a very valuable experience during my placement. He has been extremally resourceful in explaining and teaching me about new technologies and how slb are currently implementing these e.g. moving software to the cloud. There have been several times he has taken time out of his day to sit down and answer any IT related questions that I haven’t understood or needed help on. He has also given me access to online training material sites such as plural sight.
My team has also been very helpfully in teaching me about hardware related issues and software e.g. installing Windows 7 and 10, Ubuntu, Raspbian.

Most days were very busy, I had quiet days here and there but there was still work to be done during this time.

I was given a lot of amount off responsibility. I was trusted with admin access on our systems, carried out new employees HSE and IT Inductions along with setting up training courses for our clients.

The skills/training I have developed whilst working in Schlumberger will deficiently help me in my degree and beyond, I have a clearer understanding what I need to do to achieve the best grade I can in completing my degree and what I should be learning about in my spare time to keep updated with new software's and technologies in the market.

The office has a very calm and casual atmosphere.

My placement was organised very smoothly. My manager and HR team kept in contact before my placement started. During my placement I had meetings with my manager to talk about how my placement is going and projects. At no point did I feel confused or lost during my placement year.

Schlumberger offers a lot off different training material such as how to use different software or how to keep safe whilst driving and during work hours. They sent you on training days to make sure you reduce work injury and how to keep safe. My manager also gave me access to different training software websites.

Schlumberger have a huge appealing employment prospects.

During the summer there are a lot off interns working within the company and also work social events taking place however during the winter you don't have other interns working in the company as many are here only for 3-5 months. on the other hand we have weekly social sports which allows you to meet other employees.

Oxford is the nearest place to go out for student nightlife.