1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I could not imagine working at a better company. As an intern I looked for guidance and my line manager served as a wonderful mentor. Aside from my line manager, I received support from what seemed to be the entire office. I never felt out of place but in an ideal work environment.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Even though I was an intern, I was given tasks that my colleagues have to do themselves on a regular basis. I felt valued as a member of the team and not simply as 'help.' I had responsibilities that did have significant impact on projects. Being in this position was extremely empowering.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
As I previously mentioned, the guidance that I received from my line manager was wonderful. Whenever I had a question or felt lost using a certain program or equipment, my supervisor was always willing to give me support. This support was not simply the answer to a question but an explanation that deepened my knowledge on the subject.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I tended to be busy on most days. There were a couple of days in which I began the day with nothing to do. By the time that the rest of my team members came into the office though, I was given plenty to keep me busy! Being busy increased the feeling of being valued.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given the right amount of responsibility as a summer intern. I performed calculations that would affect projects; however, I wasn't given enough responsibility to make me feel uncomfortable. That being said, there was a perfect balance of practicing skills with assignments that meant little and proving how well I can use programs on projects of high importance.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Even though I am pursuing a degree in architecture, I would like to incorporate my engineering skills in my studies. I find that there is a divide between architects and engineers. I would like to show in my degree studies that it is possible to bridge the gap between the two.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The general atmosphere was extremely positive. I always enjoyed walking into the office and being surrounded by my colleagues. They are always friendly and willing to talk. This was especially important to me when I wanted to take a five-minute break from doing work. Their friendliness certainly made an impact on the positive vibes in the office.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Even before I arrived in the office, HR prepared me with information packets. Even though the packets were very detailed, if I had any questions HR was willing to help. Plus, the team would answer my question(s) by the end of the day! This significantly contributed to my feeling that BuroHappold was an organized firm.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I was impressed in the dedication of time and energy that my colleagues invested in me. I felt as though I was a permanent member of the team and not only temporary. It is due to this investment that I felt empowered and more motivated to develop and improve my skill set.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
There were no perks with
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Especially when working in a new office, I find a good social scene to be very important. It allows you to get to know people beyond the office. Your colleagues become friends that open new doors for you. In my own personal experience, my colleagues-turned-friends have shown me more of what a city has to offer.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?