IP Team Manager at Gist Ltd

Barnsley Nationwide
Logistics and Operations Management Consultancy

6.3/10

5.2

Warehouse Team Manager, managing a team of operatives to process customer product to make it ready to be loaded and sent off to customer stores.

There were tough days whilst working here, however the team I was surrounded with made daily work enjoyable. The people were what made the job fun, but sometimes the operation made it hard to enjoy work.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 1 role at Gist Ltd

In the first six months I felt very valued. In the peak busy period I was given lots of responsibility and I was praised for my performance, however in the last six months I felt that there was not much opportunity given for extra-development and learning new things. However I do feel like I am a competent team manager and play a key role.

Again at first I had all of the needed support and it helped me grow into a competent manager quickly. However once I became a competent manager I felt that the support and guidance slowed down later into the placement and it stopped feeling like I was on an IP scheme a little.

Very busy. Always on my feet and with something to do. Which is a positive for me because I don't like to be stood still.

I was surprised at the amount of responsibility I was given in the early stages of the placement. I was pleased to also have received such a key role in the busiest peak days at Christmas. Even in the regular periods of the year there was times were I was trusted to run an entire chamber of the warehouse by myself, which was great.

This placement was perfect for my degree. A full year of managing different individuals in different situations, delegating responsibility and managing an entire operation by myself was the perfect learning curve for a beginner manager.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 1 role at Gist Ltd

The team at the Barnsley depot where I'm based is great. Great chemistry and makes work good fun whilst co-operating effectively at the same time.

At the start I felt like there was a clear plan in place for my development. However, I felt in the second half of the placement, there wasn't much in store for me and they had nothing planned for me going forward since I had grew into the role. It was not until June when I was given another side project which made me feel like they had something I store for me.

As previously described I feel like it could have been more organised and had more of a clear development strategy in place.

GIST will definitely be on my list of options when I graduate as the graduate scheme offers a lot more opportunity for progression and opens the door for a solid career. However, I will most definitely be looking for other opportunities.

At the site there was myself (an IP), a graduate and an apprentice. The three of us have become good friends working together. However, there is only one of each position and therefore means there isn't much of a large social scene for placement students.

Reasonably cheap. Based in Barnsley, Yorkshire, so not as expensive as being down south.

Barnsley isn't the best for a night out.

Occasionally as a team we would all go for a curry together. And there was two or three times that myself and the graduate would go down to head office for training days which were very beneficial.