Customer Marketing Intern at Church & Dwight

Folkestone South East
Advertising Business Analytics Design E-Business Internet/e-Commerce/New Media Legal/Law Marketing Retail Sales

8.5/10

I extended my contract so I could stay longer, I enjoyed the feeling of going into work every morning and having a purpose as well as seeing my colleagues everyday.

We often met up outside of work hours and before I left many of them told me I would be missed.

My manager was very supportive when I struggled in my personal life. It helped a lot knowing that someone at work knew what was going on.

Some days are busier than others, often when I've finished all my tasks there will be something else I can do to fill my time.

I managed the departments dental brand budget as well as managed a number of POS projects and brand pages on sites like Boots.com and Tesco.com.

I now know coming out of this year what I actually want to do after I graduate. I worked in an area I didn't even know existed but I'm glad I got this role, I couldn't imagine doing anything else.

Generally very friendly, people here are quite chatty and open to conversation in the kitchen during tea breaks and on a lunchtime.

Pretty well organised, I had the opportunity to go on multiple training courses. My only reservation was that it was quite difficult to find accommodation when I first moved here, made more difficult by internships starting a different times throughout the summer. However, this seems to have been improved for the next year of interns that have just started.

As mentioned previously, Church & Dwight were very happy to provide me with training, everything from time management to IT to developing assertiveness.

Somewhat, I would be reluctant to move to the area indefinitely. I would look to move somewhere with more going on in terms of nightlife and events at the weekend. I also worked within a fairly small department so it is unlikely there would be a position for me.

During my year there were 12 other interns/apprentices, most were always very keen to go out and do stuff together on an evening or weekend which made the transition much easier and felt a lot less lonely.

Fair cheap for Kent, my room for the year was £330 including bills, this meant I could save a bit of money to take back to uni.

The nightlife in Folkestone isn't that great, there's a few pubs and bars and in the summer there's the harbour arm. I would recommend going to Canterbury instead if there's a few of you, you can share a taxi home and there's a bit more going on for students.

I'm sure there were but I just didn't take advantage of them, Folkestone is very artsy and so there's quite a few art classes you can take part in. As well as there being a large sports centre between town and work.