Summer Intern at DLA Piper

3.8/5

3.4
3.8

Summer Intern for 3 weeks

I thought the people on the scheme were great. Very competent and very easy to get along with. What I really liked was that DLA is clearly a firm that puts a lot of emphasis on employing nice, personable people. I also thought the scheme was organised very well. The induction week was particularly good considering they had to coordinate 89 of us.

Unfortunately in my first seat I got put with a partner who was not in 3/5 days during my first week. I apreciate that being a partner the person was very busy all the time. However I did not feel very good about this, Especially considering that my peers had supervisors who were always there to offer guidance and support.

My second seat was really enjoyable. The Real Estate Team was great. Everyone was extremely willing to help and give advice.

Despite some of my time here not being too great, these three weeks helped me realise a lot of things about myself and about what future careers I should be looking into. I took the negative feedback in a constructive manner and I am convinced this will help me later on.

On paper the structure of the Insight was great. As mentioned before the Induction week was extremely well organised. The idea of sitting in two departments and having a rating at the end of each one is also a really good idea as it allows the interns to get face to face feedback and ask their supervisors for clarification at the end. The only thing which I would recommend changing is the supervisor allocation strategy.

The general atmosphere was really enjoyable.

Workshops on pro bono and soft skills were very insightful and appreciated. Grad rec team members wer enthusiastic throughout and were very engaging.

Considering that in the first week I did not really do that much I am not sure. I am also not sure how indicative the work that we do is here in terms of potential future trainee work.

Insight was very useful. Most people here are genuinely nice and fun.

It was quite useful in the sense that it helped me consider things which I had not done before.

Yes, regular meetings with partners, trainees, associates and people on probono initiatives.

Insight sessions were really good, the rest of them were not that great as there were maybe 3 people in the room and 15 of us crowding round each one.

Yes, my trainee buddy told me that there is a london community and london people group.

Provided that he or she does not have the negatives of my experience yes definitely