I thought that it was very eye-opening to the way Teach First operates and allows a real hands-on in-depth look into how teachers can change a child's life. The two weeks flew by and the work week was an amazing experience to which we were supported all the way.
Everyone I talked to on the insight programme had said they had enjoyed it and that staff and mentors along the way had provided advice and help.
2. To what extent did you feel valued during your time at the company or firm?
We felt like we were part of the Teach First Family as soon as we stepped through the doors. It was amazing being in the room with hundreds of people with the same goals and drives as you. They gave you advice on how to get into different roles around the company and how your help and time can improve their company.
3. How much guidance/support did you receive during the insight?
All questions were directly answered and answered honestly. If someone didn't know the answer you were directly put towards someone who knew the answer. You are never alone while at the placement and you are only a phone call away from your mentor or someone who can help/ assist you in your placement.
4. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and information you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I felt that due to me taking a module later on in the year regarding teaching, this insight was the best thing to go on and gain the skill which I am massively sure will benefits me academically. The information and skill we developed during the scheme I believe will continue to help and support us through not only teaching career but also other aspects of careers too.
5. How well structured was the insight?
You knew exactly what you were doing on what day and all instructions were clear and precise. The only downside was that some placements were confirmed last minute which meant a few people were stressing about where there were going and how they were booking transport.
6. How was the general atmosphere during your insight?
Massive positive attitude by all staff and people around you, its a very infectious atmosphere of wanting to do well and driving to make a difference, hearing everybody's education background and drive to want to stamp out educational inequalities it truly inspiring and everyone truly felt the same way.
7. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
We were given many of the resources on the day but also have a link to any future resources that we might use which was helpful and useful. The training took place every day and we had booklets that gave us a fresh look about how we were progressing and what we should be gaining from the insight programme.
8. To what extent did the insight help you to understand what it would be like to have a full time role with the company or firm?
It gave a good insight into people who had graduated the LDP and had gone on to do several different things mostly business. Which was useful for some but there were not many teachers there who were still teaching so it only gave a clear insight into the business graduate side of the company instead of the primary goal of teaching.
9. How much did the insight help you in understanding the company culture?
The culture and ethos are quickly branded into you and become engrained quickly, the culture around the company is brilliant and everyone wants to strive toward a similar goal.
10. How valuable was the content of the day in helping you to decide on your future career path?
They gave us lots to think about over the course of the two weeks and you were constantly told of more opportunities through insight and how to progress and how to do well in the future career path as one of the attributes that teach first pushes is resilience and ambition.
11. Were you paid or reimbursed adequately for this experience?
I was paid £500 for the two weeks however due to the insight being in London the food and transport links were expensive and you are not paid for the travel down there or to your placement.
12. Were there opportunities for networking and meeting other employees of the company or firm?
There were many opportunities to not only network but to make friends which was a brilliant experience. We were put into contact with several high up people and companies that we could get easier access to than other candidates.
13. How were the networking/ social event opportunities?
There were several networking opportunities and it does not only stop at the insight programmes for two weeks. You are given dates and opportunities to network outside of the placement to truly improve the network you have.
14. Did you find out about activities that employees can get involved in outside of work?
Yes we were constantly given information regarding what we can get involved in and you can subscribe to get information about upcoming events and opportunities that the company provides.
15. Would you recommend this insight to a friend?
I would absolutely recommend to a friend or someone who is curious about teaching and wants to see if this is for them. It is a unique opportunity and i would push for many people to get involved and try to make a difference.