I found the insight day at BDO to be a very useful and enjoyable experience, which allowed me to gain a better understanding of the accountancy sector. The insight day was well-structured and allowed me to develop new skills and meet interesting and engaging people at the firm. Overall, a very enjoyable experience!
2. To what extent did you feel valued during your time at the company or firm?
Although I only had the opportunity to spend one day at BDO, I found it to be a very welcoming environment, which was largely down to the friendliness of the staff. Every single employee I had the opportunity to meet took the time to get to know each of us and find out about our interests.
3. How much guidance/support did you receive during the insight?
The support and guidance that I received on this insight day was really great and I recieved a great deal of support from staff and fellow participants alike. From the moment we entered the building, the staff at BDO made us to feel extremely supported and guided us expertly through the day.
4. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and information you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills and knowledge that I developed on this insight day will absolutely help me in the future and I feel this insight day will certainly help me in terms of future graduate scheme applications. I greatly developed my confidence on the programme and this will assist me in future interviews.
5. How well structured was the insight?
The insight day was well structure. We were provided with a detailed timetable at the start of the day. The day consisted of a good mixture of activities, skill sessions and networking opportunities, as well as a nice lunch break. The ice breakers at the beginning of the day helped everyone to feel comfortable and the rest of the day ran smoothly.
6. How was the general atmosphere during your insight?
The general atmosphere on the insight da was relaxed and easy-going. This was down to the friendly and welcoming staff, who took the time to get to know each of us. Furthermore, the other participants were really friendly and this instantly put me at ease. Overall, I really enjoyed the general atmopshere at the firm.
7. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
As we were only at the firm for one day, there was no specific training, however, the whole day was aimed at our personal developed and I feel that I got a lot out of the programme. In this sense, I feel that the firm invested a lot into our development and we had the opportunuity to learn more about the application processes.
8. To what extent did the insight help you to understand what it would be like to have a full time role with the company or firm?
The insight at BDO provided plenty of opportunities to interact with members of staff, included those who had taken part on the graduate scheme. Having the opportunity to speak to them about their experiences helped me to understand what it would be like to have a full time role at the firm.
9. How much did the insight help you in understanding the company culture?
The insight day began and ended with presentations on the company culture and the values that are held at BDO, demonstrating just how important it is to the firm and how proud they are of their values. The presentations were very informative and by spending just one day at the firm, I was able to get a better understanding of the culture.
10. How valuable was the content of the day in helping you to decide on your future career path?
The content of the day was very valuable in helping me to decide whether I would like to pursue a career in the accountancy sector. The content of the day provided a detailed breakdown of what a day to day role as an accountant would look like and therefore, I was able to evaluate whether my own skills and interests would be well suited.
11. Were you paid or reimbursed adequately for this experience?
I was not paid or reimbursed expenses, which was the one downside to this insight day. However, lunch was provided to us.
12. Were there opportunities for networking and meeting other employees of the company or firm?
Yes, there were plently of opportunities to network and meet with staff from different departments.
13. How were the networking/ social event opportunities?
The networking events were relaxed and information. We also had a Q&A session, which I found particularly beneficial.
14. Did you find out about activities that employees can get involved in outside of work?
Yes, during the presentations on the culture at the firm, there was lots of information about volunteering opportunities, as well as sports teams that employees can join.
15. Would you recommend this insight to a friend?
Yes, I would absolutely recommend this insight day at BDO to a friend as it was a really enjoyable day and was also very informative. I had the opportunity to meet lots of interesting and like minded people and I hope to stay in touch with my fellow participants in the future.