1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I've really enjoyed my placement year. Being part of a large company had a lot of perks like the company conferences and events. I worked in a really friendly environment and have made a lot of friends. So glad I chose to take the role instead of going straight into final year of my course.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was treated the same as anyone else in the office. I never felt looked down on for being a placement student. I worked in a very busy department which could be stressful at times but my colleagues were the best i could have hoped for and have become good friends.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I had monthly meetings with my manager, as well as being sat next to her for a few months. I felt completely able to talk to her about any problems that i had relating to the work and outside of the office. Other managers within the department were also very helpful.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
During the first 6 months of my job I was very busy and would work overtime frequently because of the short deadlines we work to. However, the department changed their operating system in March and since then the workload has been much better and we have even had days where we have had very little to do and can leave early.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I have been given exactly the same responsibilities and jobs as everyone else in my department. I was never seen as someone who was just there to make people drinks- I worked alongside everyone else and have even been given more job responsibilities than longer serving members of my department.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I think that working on a placement year has increased my work ethic and my ability to motivate myself to get things done- no more sitting in the library staring at my laptop!
It has also helped me gain people skills and given me a chance to develop communication skills in different senarios
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The office is really relaxed and welcoming. You canwalk down the corridor and most people will say good morning.We always have a small table with cakes and snacks on so we frequently have breaks there and are also able to have conversations while working which really helps make the day go faster.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The first few weeks are well strucutred and allowed me to get to know the other students in the office as well as learning more able to company and how it works before getting stuck in. There is a handover period between students so you aren't thrown in at the deep end with no help!
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
There are a lot of opportunities to take free courses that other companies might not offer. I have taken a mental health course, 'energy for performance' as well as doing 'insights discovery' which has helped me learn more about myself and things to help me achieve the best i can.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would like to go back to the company. During my year i got the chance to shadow in other departments and functions and feel like I could work in a lot of other departments. Everyone seems to love their work within the company and I have seen very few people want to leave.
I was asked to have my contract extended so I am currently working an extra 2 months over the summer after finishing my year.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
It was more expensive than my hometown however I don't think it is extortionate. House prices are more than my uni accommodation, however some of the other students thought it was fairly cheap - with the salary I have never had a problem with being able to afford living and socializing.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife in the town center where the office is based isn't the best. However, there are a lot of nearby towns that are easy to get to and cheap to get a taxi back from. I don't go out a lot but every time I have gone out I have had a really good time!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
The office has a gym onsite which i use regularly and have made friends through the classes that are held. There is also a company football team that rent a nearby astro turf once a week for staff members- alongside this there is a chance to go away on a football tour with the company.