General Management Industrial Placement at Aldi

Business Management

Aldi is a Top Employer

9.3/10

9.7

A varied year consisting of rotation across both store and office environments in which you gain a deep understanding of Aldi's unique approach to business.

The placement is very diverse, I had the opportunity to rotate across all departments in the company and thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of it.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 4 roles at Aldi

Respect is an integral part of Aldi's culture, you are encouraged to show everyone you have the opportunity work with a massive amount of respect and this is certainly reciprocated. A large proportion of the year involved working in a team and a mutual respect was essential for this.

As a placement student I was assigned both a mentor and a direct leader. My mentor was always there answer any questions, giving me continuous support throughout the whole year. I also had regular updates with my direct leader who would give me advice and guidance on my work/development.

Being the kind of person who enjoys keeping busy, Aldi was perfect for me. The workload was challenging at times however that is one of the things that made the placement so rewarding.

The amount of responsibility that I was given was incredible. All work that I carried out had an opportunity to make a genuine impact for the company. Managing store teams is just one example of this responsibility.

All of the numerous skills that I have developed this year will be transferrable to both my degree studies and beyond. Leadership, organisation and work ethic are just a few examples of life skills in which I have massively developed.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 4 roles at Aldi

My year was broadly split into two workplace areas; In store and in office. Store time was a energetic, faced-paced environment in which everyone would work together as a team. Professionalism was important whilst working in office however it is a very friendly environment and always someone to offer some help.

On my first day I was given a structured placement programme which mapped out my whole year. This included everything from what stores I would be working in to what days I would be having updates with my direct leader. My plan was consistent with that of other placements students' which ensured we all had equal opportunity.

Personal development was given significant importance. I would have regular updates and continuous feedback from both my mentor and my direct leader in order to ensure I was continuously developing the various competencies which are essential for the role.

My year was seen as a real stepping stone to the Area Manager graduate scheme. This is a role in which I have learned a lot about this year and is a massively exciting prospect.

Each Aldi region has several placement students, throughout the year we have worked very closely together and have built strong relationships both inside and outside of work.

Aldi has regions and stores across the whole of the UK meaning there is an opportunity to work and live in numerous locations. I was able to apply for a region close to home meaning I could commute from my family home which was a massive benefit.

I was placed in the Cardiff area, Cardiff is a vibrant city with a great nightlife.

The relationships amongst the Area Manager team is great and I was always invited to any social events outside of work. There were also frequent charitable events available to become involved in throughout the year such as Cardiff Half Marathon and Tough Mudder.