Vacation placement student at Shoosmiths

Nottingham East Midlands
Corporate Law

7.2/10

I enjoyed the insight a lot, I learnt a lot and felt that I still had a lot to learn by the end of the week. There was a lot that was asked of me, but I feel I rose to the challenge in many respects. Overall, a very good experience.

I felt there was a lot of attention given to me, and I felt that I always had some help to hand if I needed it. From the meetings with my host if I wasn't understanding something, to the regular email correspondence throughout the day, there was always someone who was willing to help.

I received a lot of guidance and support during the insight. I never felt on my own on a project and the staff and employees were friendly and always helpful. Occasionally, I will try to attempt something on my own, but I always knew my work would be reviewed so I could be confident.

The skills I developed and information I received will assist me in my studies in my degree and beyond, are those that surround meticulous work, detailed planning, team work, prioritization and impartiality. The skills I developed here, will ensure that I look over things thoroughly and am meticulous with my work in the future.

The insight was well structured for the purposes. I did not feel too overcrowded, and there was space for me to get on with me independent projects. But there was also a lot of other work that my host asked of me which I had the time and space to complete.

The general atmosphere during my insight was very friendly, calm and approachable. I never felt intimidated or unwelcome, and the staff made every effort to engage me in conversation and ask how I was doing at that point. Generally, I felt people were really friendly, polite and genuinely interested in what I had to say.

The company invested in me through their time and effort they put into me and ensuring that I was always on track. I feel I was trained and developed to participate in this kind of atmosphere in the future and feel better equipped to go into a similar atmosphere later one.

The insight have me a great understanding of what it would be like to have a full time role in the firm by the regular nine to five hours and the restricted lunch hours. The overtime also showed me that this is a normality in the world of work generally.

The insight helped my understanding of company culture by showing me how things work in the corporate world, like a big firm such as this one. The culture was something I really enjoyed, and I was integrated well enough to get a clear flavor of what this was like in the firm.