- Digital marketing
- Channel management
- Product managment
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I was a West European Marketing Assistant for one of the divisions within 3M and the year was a huge learning curve for me. After discussions at the beginning of the placement with my line manager, we agreed upon what type of work I would do, to give me the best chance to have a varied and balanced year. I enjoyed a large majority of the work I did which included new product launches, increasing our digital presence, working with channel partners and pricing. It covered most areas of marketing and it was enjoyable as I got stuck into multiple tasks.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt like a valued member of my inner team as well as the wider 3M community
Always happy to take time out of their day to support you on whatever task (work/social)
Was rewarded for tasks by my inner team and the wider community with STAR awards (which i used as Amazon vouchers)
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
- Weekly informal catch-ups followed by quarterly reviews which were formal
- Given huge amounts of support from all bosses
- They always would take time to answer/solve my questions and issues felt they would have my back if anything went wrong
- Developed me as a person as well as a professional
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
- To start with there was a low workload
- Steady workload throughout with moments of high workloads
- You can also take more on but encourage to say no when a task is not feasible
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
- Led on multiple product launches throughout the year
- Led with activities involving Amazon and other channel partners
- Given licence to create marketing materials which included videos and sales guides
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
- Loads of training is offered out throughout the year e.g. Six Sigma, Financials, networking, speech training ...
- Presented regularly throughout the year in front of 30-40+ in Townhalss
- Part of a group of placement students (14 in 2017-2018) which creates a support network
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
- Fun but professional
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
- Very well
- Always gave us chances to reflect and talk if things were not going well
- Gave us plenty of training
- Provided Opportunites to take part in external activities e/g STEM events, Brand ambassador, Career/Uni fayres, Sports and social clubs
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I believe they invest heavily in my development - this was done through my boss provided me with his insights and all the training we were exposed too. They also expensed all fo our travels to training days, sales visits, Train the trainers and so on...
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
They are appealing but they do not have a graduate scheme to date (2018)
- would come back if I was given the opportunity as I love the working environment and culture at 3M
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
- There are 14 placements students in Bracknell and many more around the country
- Bracknell based students spent a lot of time in and outside of work together
- Lived with 3 other students
- Always social events company wide such as TNDC (Thursday Night Drinking Club), summer barbeques and monthly pub lunches
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
- Rent will be around 400-475 PPM
- Pints are not London prices but not cheap
- Bus system is cheap and handy (run all night)
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
- Lots of students around
- A fair amount of clubs in Reading which are ok
- University in heart of the town
- Pubs in Bracknell/Wokingham area are very good
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
3M provides opportunities for;
- STEM project
- Careers and University events
- Volunteering and charity work
- Sports and social clubs