Intern at Schlumberger

Cambridge East of England
Science/Research

8.1/10

Intern Research Scientist

Really good experience. Was given a lot of responsibility from the first day of the job. Was exposed to a lot of independent working which was great too. All the staff were highly motivated and very intelligent which gave me a willingness to succeed. Was given a lot of freedom to research as well.

Most workers are PhD or beyond so in many cases it is very hard to help them with their work and ask pertinent questions when attending peer reviews etc. But all colleagues are easily approachable and will show a lot of interest in your work and give you tips and ideas if wanted.

Management also made an effort to include interns in site meetings also where applicable.

I was given as much guidance and support as I wanted. But I also was free to work independently too. They were not constantly looking over my shoulder which was nice as long as you presented them your work and kept them updated.

Personally I like to be kept incredibly busy so maybe I could've had slightly more work. But it meant that the work I did undertake I was able to put more effort into. There were some days in the beginning where I was looking for more work to do but apart from that it was probably the perfect balance.

I was basically able to run my own project from start to finish. Seeking guidance when necessary. It was a really good insight as to what it would be like to have a permanent job in this field. Loved it.

I had never been exposed to this much independent working at university, so this was really helpful in that aspect. I also think being a part of such a well run company had a significant impact on me as I learnt what sort of company I would want to work for in the future.

Good. All interns share offices with other interns so its quite nice.

Very well. They've done this for many years and the structure was already in place. I was trained by the intern before me.

They invested a lot, my project was significant research and whatever i needed to carry out the research was given to me without question.

They really value the work you do.

Very.

Yes, many of us played football or badminton at lunchtimes and went to the pub in the evenings.

Expensive

poor but made better by the company

yes - many sports at lunchtimes or after work, as well as french club and learning to code.