Commercial Finance Analyst at Travelport

Langley, Slough South East
Banking/Finance

6.8/10

4.2

Travelport provided a thoroughly enjoyable work placement. You are provided a high level of responsibility and treated as an equal colleague. By being part of a large intern group it's easy to settle in and make friends. The only downside is the location which does not provide a city experience.

Even as an intern we were completing work that only we knew how to do. We were providing real value to our business partners enabling quick and easy decision making.

Ranging from a mentorship program to centrally ran HR develop sessions. Travelport provides a high level of support during your placement. My line manager was always on hand if I had any questions and judgement free even if it was an easy one.

The start of the placement was quite slow as we got to grips with our new roles. Once we had an understanding I did not have a day without tasks to complete. It was a manageable amount but you had to work hard to complete your tasks.

The highlight of the placement - I was not an intern but instead given the responsibility of a junior analyst. I was given tasks that were fundamental in our monthly reporting cycles and given the responsibility to negotiate with colleagues outside of my team.

The biggest skill development has been my ability to conduct myself in a corporate environment and how to build strong and professional relationships. It will allow me to apply perspective to my studies during final year but has put me a step ahead of other graduates as I now understand corporate etiquette.

Extremely friendly office but to my knowledge not better than you can find elsewhere. The office is to undergo a refurbishment which would increase my score once complete but for now it's a pretty average score.

In terms of integration to our teams this was a perfect score. The placement involved development sessions and guest speakers from people around the entire company. Only improvement is the structure to the shadowing period but overall a great program.

Many sessions were provided which helped us integrate into the company. However, no budget was available for personal development courses we wanted to complete ourselves.

I was offered the chance to return if I did not find a different graduate job but due to personal preference I will be seeking a job closer to the city of London.

We were part of a group of 14 interns meaning there was the opportunity to. Lots of our group commuted from distance making it hard to develop a good social scene. There is the possibility but was average during my placement year.

The area is relatively cheap to rent considering how quick it is to get into London. The area however lacks socialising opportunities thus you need to travel into the city for this, therefore making socialising expensive.

Beyond shocking. The best available is London but again for a night out causing logistical issues.

There was a social club and football team but these were too infrequent to class the activities as endless.