I throughly enjoyed this vacation scheme at Linklaters! The work placement is really well structured with plenty of opportunity to get involved in real work and also a variety of lectures and talks to help you get the most out of the experience. Overall, a very enjoyable and rewarding experience!
2. To what extent did you feel valued during your time at the company or firm?
I felt very well valued during my time at Linklaters. In both seats, I felt like staff within the department made an real effort to get to know me and they went out of their way to include me in social activities. I received emails from other trainees in the department asking how I was getting on, which i found was a really nice touch.
3. How much guidance/support did you receive during the insight?
I always felt really well supported. I spent time in two departments at Linklaters and both times my principals have been fantastic. They were always around to answer questions, give advice and offer their help with any work. In addition to my principal, I had my trainee buddy and the graduate recruitment team who were happy to solve any queries also.
4. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and information you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
There were plenty of chances to develop new skills and knowledge on this vacation scheme. In particular, I felt that I developed my analytical skills and time management skills. All of the above skills will be extremely beneficial in both my degree and for my future career path beyond university.
5. How well structured was the insight?
The vacation scheme was well structured. The social events were well-timed to allow people leaving half way through to catch trains back home and fit around the work we had to do for our principals. The group sessions, again, were well timed to fit around our various commitments. They usually came before or after group practice area talks so little time was wasted waiting for people to arrive from across the building. The two weeks was a bit short, though that is the standard scheme length across the industry
6. How was the general atmosphere during your insight?
The general atmosphere was really great. I found the other trainees to be really friendly, my principals were fun, and the other vacation scheme participants were great to be around. I made a number of friends who I will keep in touch with. It really was a great place to work and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.
7. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
There was substantial investment in our personal training, with proper sessions were delivered, in the same way as if we were full time employees. Senior staff hosted these sessions and took the time to speak with us. We were treated as if we were employed there as full time, permanent employees who needed to be trained.
8. To what extent did the insight help you to understand what it would be like to have a full time role with the company or firm?
The two week scheme provided a very helpful insight into what a full time role at Linklaters would be like. We were able to work with current employees and socialise with them outside of work, giving us the opportunity to see what they did and ask questions in an informal setting where candid answers were more likely to be given.
9. How much did the insight help you in understanding the company culture?
I felt the company culture was extremely friendly, and the variety of social events and length of the vacation scheme enabled me to meet a variety of people across the firm in both formal and informal environments. People were also very happy to answer my questions at length and explain to me what they liked and sometimes didn't like about the company's culture.
10. How valuable was the content of the day in helping you to decide on your future career path?
I was already pretty certain on the path I wanted to take in my career on arrival at the firm. However, the two week vacation scheme at Linklaters confirmed that my plans were definitely what I wanted. They also confirmed that this was definitely the firm I wanted to work for. I was motivated to pursue my goals with more vigour.
11. Were you paid or reimbursed adequately for this experience?
I was paid for my time spent working at Linklaters and I used this to pay for accommodation and travel expenses.
12. Were there opportunities for networking and meeting other employees of the company or firm?
During the two week vacation scheme at Linklaters there were many structured opportunities to meet, network and socialise with other employees of the firm, as well as the firm's partners. We went for a dinner with some of the partners, which provided an excellent opportunity to speak to them in a more informal setting and see what they were like as people. We were taken on many other social events where we got to meet current trainees and get their take on the firm as a place to work.
13. How were the networking/ social event opportunities?
I found the networking and social event opportunities to be really enjoyable.
14. Did you find out about activities that employees can get involved in outside of work?
Yes, I found out about different opportunities that Linklater employees can get involved in.
15. Would you recommend this insight to a friend?
Yes, I would absolutely recommend this insight to a friend.