1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Enjoyed every moment of my year placement at Egress and will be sad to leave and go back to university life. The team in the Barnsley office were brilliant from day one making every day in the workplace extremely enjoyable. Company events and socials were also very enjoyable to be a part of.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
From day one at Egress I felt like a valued member of my software development team, as everybody around me treated me like a full time employee. I am sure that my team here will miss my contribution to the company once I have gone back to university in September.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Everybody at Egress is willing to help out and share their knowledge, making a placement here an incredible environment to learn. I was provided with all the support and learning materials needed to quickly settle into my role as a software developer. Egress focuses on individual career development and will strive to assist you with the learning of new skills, both technically and personally.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Due to the responsibility given and my role in my development team, I found that I was always provided with enough work on a daily basis. The work provided here has always been varied and challenging allowing me to develop my knowledge across multiple technical skills, such as different programming languages and technologies.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was very quickly given large amounts of responsibility at Egress, being trusted with code access from day one. I found myself to become an integral part of the development team extremely quickly and have been since trusted with more and more development responsibility as my placement progressed in the past year.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I am extremely glad I decided to take a placement year, as the skills and attributes I have learned whilst on placement will prove critical when completing my degree. But more importantly, the industry experience gained will prove to be a massive advantage after graduating university. I seriously recommend a placement year to everybody.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Barnsley office is a fun and exciting place to work, we have a young and enthusiastic development team here who all have a passion for the products in development which is demonstrated by the very high quality of work which is produced here on a daily basis. The work hard play hard nature of Egress really shines through here.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement application process was straightforward and the HR team did a great job of making it as seamless as possible. Starting my placement was equally as easy, I was well informed and never left in the dark regarding any information I might have needed to start. The rest of my placement was similarly well organised.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
From day one, Egress was very keen on providing me with the required training to complete my development tasks and fit into the team well. I have also been supported in any further learning throughout the course of my placement, included support and training in different aspects of the company in which I took interest in.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Egress were very keen on extending my contract for a further two months on the expiry of my placement, and due to the success and enjoyment I have taken from working here, I would certainly be interested in further employment after university. Egress are very eager to permanently hire placement students who preform at the highest level.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Due to my development team being a group of young, like minded individuals, the social scene here is very good, with multiple social events taking place
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The Sheffield area is comparably cheap compared to other cities across the country, and despite having to commute into Barnsley on a daily basis, I never had an issue with money. With Sheffield being a student city there is plenty of cheap things to do at affordable prices throughout the year.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
With Sheffield, Manchester and Leeds being close enough, the Nightlife in the area is very good
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Egress hosts many company socials outside of work. There is always something planned that everybody can get involved with