This placement gives excellent exposure on visual merchandising and retail design. Throughout the placement you are supporting the vm team and have a large amount of responsibility. You will be responsible for collating and sending out the monthly merchandising guidelines which will include all new point of sale material for new launches. You will also speak with stores on a daily basis to help with any merchandising queries.
As well as this you will be responsible for all lighbox visual updates. This includes changing all visuals for a new product launch or promotion. You work closely with suppliers setting up the artwork and organising the printing and installation.
You assist with the openings of new counters which involves ordering visuals and point of sale material as well as attending these installations to check it all runs smoothly. You will also be involved in organising and installing mini boutique sites around the UK.
You work closely with the marketing team, especially when creating stand out for product launches. You will also work with the marketing team when allocating point of sale material to stores for launches.
The role really enables you to get involved in all aspects of visual merchandising and gives you a great amount responsibility.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
It is very enjoyable and you gain crucial skills which will help in the future. You also get immersed in the beauty industry and learn new things everyday.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
You really do feel part of the team, your input is valued in your team and the wider brand.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Managers are approachable if you need to ask questions. Everyone is very busy but you can request weekly catch ups in order to seek advice and guidance.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
You are very busy on a daily basis but it is always exciting and everyday is different!
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
You are given a lot of responsibility and given a great chance to get invovled in all aspects of the industry.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
You learn important business skills that will help you in whatever industry you choose after you internship. Your confidence and communciation skills are strenghtened helping you to be successful.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere is very lively and exciting, especially on a Monday morning! There is never a dull moment.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
It is well organised, you are given objectives at the start of your internship so you know what you are working towards. You are also given a mid year review which allows you to talk with you manager about whether or not you are reaching this goals and objectives.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
During your review you have the opportunity to express where you would like to improve. You are then given guidance and projects to help you personally develop.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I have been successful in joining the management trainee program which will start after my internship is completed.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
It is a very sociable company. There are always nights out with other interns or team members. There are also intern lunches which allow you to interact with your peers.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
London is quite expensive but there are ways to find cheaper nights out!
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There are a few pubs in the area which is always busy on Friday after work!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There are some good charitable opportunites to get involved in. This can be in the local area.