Hi! Just a little message to let you know that we've updated our Privacy Policy.

Intern at Linklaters

Commercial Law

9.4/10

I really loved my time spent at Linklaters. It was an incredibly enjoyable experience thanks to the exciting programme and the interesting people that I had the opportunity to meet. I had a very accurate view into the life at the firm and made some fantastic memories and was treated to some fantastic experiences!

I felt well invested during my time at the firm as Linklaters is an incredibly welcoming firm that made every effort for applicants to feel valued. We had regular contact with principals and we were all appointed a trainee buddy, who provided daily contact and acted as a valuable source of information.

I received a great deal of guidance and support, ranging from my trainee buddy to the Graduate Recruitment team as well as my principals, who were both managing associates. There were plenty of people to turn to to ask questions and have a chat with. We had regular meetings and there was definitely a culture of openness and the feeling that I could be honest with concerns and issues.

This scheme certainly went beyond what I expected in terms of a learning experience. On top of working in a professional environment and learning specific technical knowledge, there were sessions testing out negotiating skills, networking opportunities, and general advice for applications and future steps. The programme has certainly allowed me develop my professional skills which are invaluable in the legal profession.

I found this scheme at Clifford Chance to be very well structured, with a clear timetable of our work, networking and social events. As well as focused desk and department work, each day included communal sessions or social activities, as well as skill-development sessions, which I found to be particularly beneficial.

I very much enjoyed the general atmosphere at Clifford Chance- a refreshingly welcoming firm, who made each applicant feel valued and appreciated. Not only were staff and partners eager to see vacation scheme students get involved and get the most out of the experience, but the cohort also got along especially well.

The firm ensured that there were numerous opportunities for feedback, both formal and informal, which helped me to learn from my impression and work in the group as a whole.
It was evident just how much the firm invested in our personal development. Everyone I did work for was also happy to give me feedback informally, or prepared comments on the work I had submitted for them. I also felt that my principals were willing to give me feedback on the work that I had done over the course of my time in their departments, to help me to understand whether I was on the right track in my work. The Graduate Recruitment team also ensured that we had feedback sessions on our previous interviews during the course of the scheme so that we could improve for our final interview.

I got a really good insight into how different departments work, what the role of a trainee would be and how the firm as a whole operates. I felt included in the different types of work in the department, for example not just written work but also attending conference calls and interviews.

The daily contact within our departments and the opportunity to meet London and Global Partners re-enforced the culture, ambition and opportunities at the firm. It was an eye-opening experience and pleasing to see that the firm lives up to its expectations and offers a culture designed to allow people to excel.

The scheme was really valuable in helping me decide on my future career path. The scheme enabled me to compare the firm to other firms and to understand the differentiating factors. Opportunities to talk to people at all levels in different departments helped me to understand how I would fit in at the firm. The opportunities to talk to trainees in particular enabled me to better understand the types of roles I would be expected to undertake and how my work would fit into transactions.

I was paid during this insight scheme.

Yes, there were plenty of opportunities and these were both formal and informal, and both arranged by the Graduate Recruitment team, or as part of our groups. The Graduate Recruitment events provided opportunities to meet with different lawyers at the firm, including partners, counsel and trainees. I also attended evening drinks in both departments in which I sat which helped me to get to know those working in those departments better.

I very much enjoyed all the networking and social opportunities.

Yes. As a vacation scheme student we had access to the gym and sports teams, many fee-earners were involved in pro-bono legal activities.

Yes! A fantastic, immersive experience and the only way to really see the culture and working environment of a corporate law firm of Linklaters's scale.