9.0/10

204 reviews

• About You
  • The Organisation
  • Everything Else

One week vacation scheme placement.

2. I really enjoyed the experience, everyone was so friendly and I was introduced to so many different people. All of the work given to me was really interesting and I felt that I learnt a lot from juggling my tasks.

3. To what extent did you feel valued during your time at the company or firm?
  4. I was encouraged to engage with everyone in the office, and felt really included. I was given some tasks from a Partner in the firm so that made me feel like I was doing really important work. People were happy to take time out of their day to go for coffee or lunch to get to know me, which I really appreciated.

5. How much guidance/support did you receive during the insight?
  6. My trainee buddy was incredibly supportive, always ensuring that I was involved and introducing me to people. She was always there to answer questions if I was confused and provided me with work when I had capacity.
    The graduate recruitment team were very active, they organised a mid-week phone call for me to update them on how I was doing, ensuring that everything was going okay.

7. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and information you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
  8. I learnt time management skills from juggling the tasks given to me alongside preparing for the presentation I had to give on the last day.
    I also learnt how to apply the knowledge that I have been taught on my degree to the practical work that I was given, which is a really useful thing to learn.
    As the week progressed I got more confident with approaching staff and asking them queries, which I think was a great thing to practice.
    The projects were useful to do because I learnt time management skills and confidence in presenting in front of a crow, but I think that I learnt more from the real-life work that the solicitors gave me.

10. We were given a big presentation to prepare and do for the final day, and one for the mid-week point. This was structured well because we could balance the work given to us by staff around these priorities.
    I had to do a lot of the project in the evenings because it took longer than I expected, but I was happy to do this because I wanted to make sure that my work was of a high standard.

12. The firm really gives off an atmosphere of friendliness and openness, I felt really included and welcomed by the team. We went for lunch with the trainees one day, went for coffee with a few people from my team on another day, and I was taken to lunch by a Partner on my final day. This showcases how they really tried to make me feel included, and that they wanted to get to know me.

13. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
  14. I think that I learnt a lot from the work that I did but it maybe would have been better for my development as a solicitor to be able to focus more on the real practical work instead of my project.
    But I did receive plenty of work, and never felt that I was without a useful task, and was really happy with the tasks I was given to do. And I do think my project was beneficial to me in different ways, such as confidence and public speaking skills.

15. To what extent did the insight help you to understand what it would be like to have a full time role with the company or firm?
  16. Because of my project I perhaps lost some insight into working for the firm, because only about half of my time in the office was spent doing work for the actual lawyers.
    However, I still got a sense of what it was like to be part of the team and learnt a lot.

17. How much did the insight help you in understanding the company culture?
  18. I really gained an insight into the company's values and how they operate as a law firm. It was clear that they are an open and friendly firm and I got to experience this.

19. How valuable was the content in helping you to decide on your future career path?
  20. I got a better understanding of what it is like to work in Real Estate Law, which was beneficial to me because this is an area that I am considering working in the future.

21. Were you paid or reimbursed adequately for this experience?
  22. I was paid for my week's work but was not paid for my train or my accommodation for the week. I was coming from far away so had to pay Hotel costs, which amounted to a lot, but the money paid for my work covered these costs so I was happy to do it.

23. Were there opportunities for networking and meeting other employees of the company or firm?
  24. Yes, I was introduced to many people in the firm. I spoke to people from different departments and felt that I was able to ask them anything I wanted.

26. We went for lunch and coffee a few times which was a really good way to get to know people one-on-one and speak to them in a casual setting.
    I also went out for drinks with the trainees on the final day to celebrate the week which was really nice.

27. Did you find out about activities that employees can get involved in outside of work?
  28. I learnt a bit about the charity work that the teams do, and how often they organised social events with their teams/across the office.

30. Yes definitely, I think it has been a great opportunity for me to learn new skills and gain confidence.

Legal/Law, Marketing