• Developing a knowledge of Corporate Responsibility by reading articles, attending training activities and attending meetings with CR and Sourcing team members.
• Contributing ideas and feedback so we are continuously improving
• Collect stock from buyers for the ASOS Foundation sample sale
• ASOS Foundation inbox and mail - respond to requests for funding/partnership
• Obtain items and help set up goody bags for ASOS Foundation fundraising sales
• Help set up, clear up and contribute to running fundraising events
• Write internal communications for ASOS Active events
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I have really enjoyed my placement year at ASOS. Everyone has been very helpful and it is a fun and welcoming environment to work in.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
You are treated the same as a permanent member of staff and are given a large amount of responsibility.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I have been given great support by manager having weekly 1-2-1 to go over what I am working on and any problems I may have had. I have also had a 'buddy' who I have regular catch ups with and provides any pastoral and development support I may need.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Very busy! The working environment at ASOS is very fast-paced. There is always a lot going on at any one time so it means that everyone is kept busy.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given my own small projects to work on from start to finish. However, a large part of my role was supporting other team members with their projects instead having my own.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
My time management has significantly improved since I started working which will help me to manage my time better when I return to studying next year.
I have also been involved in an intern development task to present to the EXECS at ASOS. As part of this task we received training on charismatic presenting. This will be a helpful skill for when I return to university as well as in future jobs.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
ASOS has a really fun working environment. Although, everyone is expected to work very hard they also have a lot of staff benefits. This includes big summer and Christmas parties, Friday drinks in the office and daily sample sales.
Everyone who works at ASOS is very friendly and approachable.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
ASOS has established an intern program which is run by the academy team and is very well organised.
We received monthly intern development sessions and have have had the opportunity to provide feedback throughout the year if we feel we need more support in any areas.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I have received monthly intern training from the academy team as well as being able to attend any of the company wide training sessions taking place.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
There are no guaranteed jobs at the end of the placement year but I am aware that previous interns have since been permanently employed at ASOS.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Some of the interns live together and we have socialized as a group occasionally.
Interns spend a large proportion of time with their teams and tend to socialise more with team members.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The office's are based in central and north London so the cost of living in these areas is quite high.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There is a good selection of restaurants, pubs, bars and clubs.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes, I have played for the ASOS netball team this year, there are also other sports teams which staff can join.
There gym classes and beauty treatments on site at the offices.