Managed 10 national retail accounts from a supply perspective, all with a large high-street and online presence.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my internship. With all the responsibility and challenges during my year at L'Oréal, I believe I have developed my skill set substantially.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Very valued. Many employees at L'Oréal go out of their way to get to know you, give you praise and feedback on your work. There is very much a family atmosphere with everyone treated respectfully, from interns through to directors.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Lots of support was given by line manager. We had weekly formal catchups, however due to us working so close together, I felt I could lean on him for support and guidance at any point throughout my internship.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Life at L'Oréal can be extremely busy, with it not being unusual to feel you must work outside of your contracted hours in order to manage your workload. As you get comfortable in your role, you can manage you time much better, however at the end of my internship I can still find myself sometimes coming in earlier and leaving hours after many others...
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
L'Oréal offers an enormous amount of responsibility to many interns. This is definitely one of the highlights at working here. Expect to be leading your own projects or working in a full time operational role having a real impact on this global business.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
My business skill set has improved substantially from my time here, this will serve me well in a future career at L'Oréal or elsewhere. You will very quickly adjust to life working for a fast paced, teaching you many things about managing yourself and others regardless of your function.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
There is a fast paced, but light hearted atmosphere. Different divisions have varying traditions to bring fun into the office, as well as many different corporate events.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Onboarding was a bit tedious, with me not finding out my job role until the day I started. However, following that there were many inductions which clearly laid out the structure of the placement and any key deadlines we should be aware of. Besides that, it was straight into business in my operational role with handover beginning immediately.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
L'Oréal really believes in its interns and invests a lot. An extensive selection of trainings are available to you as well as up to 3 sponsored Coursera courses in any field of your choosing. Your development is really in your own hands, but the company will back you accordingly.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The management trainee scheme is very appealing with an 18 month contract and 3 business rotations, allowing you great exposure to many different divisions. Besides this, there is also entry level jobs available following completion of your internship.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes! There is a dedicated intern committee running lots of socials and sports clubs. This is great as L'Oréal has a very large intern population.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Living in and around the Hammersmith area is expensive, and L'Oréal does not offer any financial help with your accommodation. They do however offer employee discounts at local eateries, salons and fitness centres.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Hammersmith night life is lacking, however a 20 minute tube ride into central London and there is lots of nightlife.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Lots! There are many intern socials and sports clubs, as well as socials and team events in your function teams.