1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I have enjoyed working at ASOS and learning more about the buying role, as well as working with other people in ASOS. I also enjoyed being able to work on two departments during my internship
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I have always felt valued by my colleagues as they treat me as more of a permanent employee. The only time i felt less valued was at the beginning of each department, but this was due to me being trained and not being able to take on as much responsibility
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Both team managers have been really supportive, especially my line managers. I had regular catch ups to check my progress and how I was feeling about the role.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
It depended on the day and also the stage of the internship. At the beginning of the internship on my first team I had very little responsibility and therefore wasn't very busy, but as I progressed and was given more things to do by the end I was much busier on a daily basis.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
At the beginning of both departments I had very little responsibility, but as I progressed my managers recognised I had the ability to take on more and was given much more. When I worked on branded at the end of my 6 months I was running the largest category on the department.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
This internship has put into practice and real life all the things I learnt during my degree, and will assist me in final year. As well, I now have the skills to be a BA when I graduate which will allow me to get a job much easier.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was generally very positive and cooperative. Both teams I worked on regularly communicate and I became friends with a lot of my colleagues. We all work together to achieve the same end goal and that's what I enjoyed most about ASOS.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement at the beginning wasn't the best organised as we were never told what team we were going to be on until halfway through the induction day. My team also weren't aware until midday on induction day and suddenly it felt like an intern had been sprung on them. I didn't have a space to sit or a laptop and didn't feel like I'd settled in for a good month due to no real introduction to the team. This could definitely do with being improved so your new team is aware of a new starter earlier than half way through your first day so that basic things like a laptop and seat can be arranged.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
We had normal training as the rest of the business do which was helpful, however I was mainly trained by other BA's on my teams. I did like the monthly development sessions that interns received though.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
We haven't been told the process of future employment when the internship finishes so I cannot comment on my own prospects, however if ASOS were to offer a graduate role I would be extremely happy with this. However, it also hasn't been communicated about progression and whether we would come back at a higher level having done the role for a year. Better communication about future prospects would be helpful so interns know where they stand.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I have had a great social experience with fellow placement students and even lived with 3 others. Offering the opportunity to communicate with other interns that may need housing was really helpful and something I thin ASOS should implement every year as it helps you to really bond with other interns.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
London is generally expensive, but we managed to live a little North of the area we work in to make this more affordable.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
We often didn't stay in Camden for real nightlife, however I had a few after work drinks in the area,
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
I am aware of sports teams in the business but I didn't join a group. There aren't many other activities to get involved in though.