1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Thoroughly enjoyed it and definitely want to return to the industry upon graduating. A big change in terms of hours from transitioning from student life to full-time work but I feel a lot more prepared for the future now and it was great to finally apply what I've taken from my education to the real world.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
This was one of the biggest reasons for the success and enjoyment of my placement year. The culture here at Watford Audi is great and everyone gets along really well. It's imperative for the success of the business that all departments work well together and consequently it makes it a much nicer place to be,
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Nothing was too much of an ask, I would always question things to try and gain as much as possible from my placement year and he could always provide an answer. He really is a great boss and I feel contributes massively to the successful culture here at Watford Audi.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Some days more than others. The role can be fairly intuitive but there is always something to be doing. It would also depend on the time of the month/year e.g. March & September are very busy in the Automotive industry. Month-end was also very busy for me which I really enjoyed, I much preferred to keep busy.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I would say a near perfect amount. I would frequently be involved in projects and meetings with management which made me feel like I was part of the decision-making. At the same time I wasn't given too much to the extent that I felt out of my depth which was great.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
It was nice to finally apply some of the topics I have learnt throughout my degree to a real working scenario. I've been exposed to all departments throughout my time here and believe this will benefit me massively going forward. Although some parts may not relate completely to my studies, I would say the majority will be very transferable.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
I think this was one of the main factors for the success and enjoyment of my placement year. Obviously when work needs to get done then everyone gets on but all the staff here are great fun and there's rarely a dull moment. I also put this partially down to being in the automotive industry and a lively sales environment,
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
It was pretty seamless to be honest. My first week at Watford Audi I was shadowing the different departments which taught me a lot. Then I had a week at Audi UK to see the contrast between head office and the network. Then when returning to Watford I had a brief handover period with my predecessor and then I was ready to go.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
My first week at Audi UK we were put on an excel training course which was quite beneficial. I was then sent back to head office numerous times throughout the year to learn about the brand and the products etc. I was also lucky enough to attend Central Launch Training in Munich last year.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The industry has definitely intrigued me and I would strongly consider returning. I'm unsure which role would be best suited to me so I'm still undecided if I would go for a role in the Network or at Head Office. However I know for a fact I've thoroughly enjoyed the Network side of things so we shall see.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Due to locality there was only one other undergraduate that was accessible. We got on well and when at head office we met up with the other undergraduates and everyone got on well.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Can't really comment, lived at home in a different area.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Rarely visited due to living fairly far away, but I know there is a lot going on. If you lived locally it is definitely worth a visit, there is a local university in the area so the area is full of young people and a lot of places to go on a night out.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were a few events, e.g. sporting events and Christmas parties however not too much apart from that. But again, due to the distance I lived from work this wasn't an issue to me as it would be quite long to travel the distance to events near/around work on weekends etc.