Retail intern in L'Oreal Luxe working on retail development projects, store operations and training for in store employees.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I have overall had a very enjoyable year at L'Oreal but there have definitely been different challenges and highlights along the way
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My team were great at giving me both positive and constructive feedback and you feel part of the team as each intern has an important purpose.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given sufficient support from my manager and team, however L'Oreal is also a company that expect you to foster your own learning, think for your self and use initiative to get tasks done.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Like any job some periods of time were very busy and some were quieter but I always had plenty to do each day and was never waiting for the next task.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a lot of autonomy and responsibility in my work trusted with large budgets and expected to deliver results
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills at L'Oreal are definitely ones i will use for the rest of my professional career
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
There is a good mix of social fun atmosphere as well as a hard working environment
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The organisation within my specific role and team was great. However as L'Oreal is such a large company there is some disparity between the demands of HR and the demands of my team.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
A lot, L'Oreal constantly encourage learning and growth and we complete a lot of company wide training that is relevant to our role and the wider business
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Future employment prospects are appealing however the Grad Scheme process is slightly discouraging as there are approx. 100 interns each year and only 28 graduate scheme places so it is very competitive.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes as there are approx. 100 interns in the building there is always social opportunities including nights out and sports teams. Even just in the day to day most interns have lunch together.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I lived at home and commuted into London which cost approx £400 a month as i wanted to save throughout the year for travelling after my placement. If i had lived in London I do not think I would've been able to save as much.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Great bars near the office and then only a tube into central London
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Intern sports teams
Company wide charity initiative