1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I loved my placement year within the company and was given responsibilities since day one. The people in the office were all so welcoming and lovely. The company really supports your development here with the schemes and learning platforms that they offer.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My team members were so inviting and joyful and always made me feel like a part of their 'L'Oreal Family'. They definitely made me feel like a valued team member!
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager was very supportive of my development and the projects that I carried out. Regular catch-ups with my manager allowed me to address any issues I had and also allowed me to keep my manager informed with my progress.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The nature of this varied within the month, my role did include deadlines which I was required to meet e.g. on a Monthly or Quarterly basis. At times, where I had to meet deadlines, my work load was quite big. Other than that my work load was consistent and I had deadlines to meet on a daily basis.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given responsibility from day one which really made me feel valued and important within the team. My daily tasks and projects were important to the daily processes in the team and were left for me to do. The level of responsibility and trust put into me helped to build my confidence and encouraged my personal development.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
My placement has assisted my personal and professional development. It has given me strong Financial foundations for me to develop in my future studies. I have also had the opportunity to develop my transferable skills and the opportunity to learn other skills in which you can only develop and put into practice within a professional working environment. I have also become more familiar and developed my experience with new and previously used software
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in the Wales office is very friendly and welcoming, although at times it can be quiet! However, due to the friendly nature, it made living away from home easier.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Although my placement year was amazing I feel that the scheme is mainly catered for the interns in the Hammersmith Head Office, as the majority of interns work there. I did feel at times there was little thought put into communicating with the interns working in offices other than the Hammersmith one.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
There is a learning platform called 'mylearning' which I made a lot of use out of during my internship which is great for personal development.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I am very interested in applying for L'Oreal's Graduate scheme as there is great opportunities for growth and exposure into different divisions. The graduate scheme is rotational which allows you to get a better insight into the different divisions.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There were frequent social events organised within Hammersmith, which was too far away for me to attend
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Was not too expensive in Cardiff reasonably priced. However this is probably not reflective of the majority of the L'Oreal placements.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Cardiff had an amazing student nightlife and the there were regular events/concert in Cardiff Town centre. This will differ however dependent on where you are placed in your internship.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?