Business and Human Resource Management Placement at Warner Bros

Business Analytics Consumer Products/FMCG Financial Management Human Resources Intellectual Property Law Legal/Law Leisure and Hospitality Marketing Public Relations Recruitment

8.5/10

DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW:
The Warner Bros. Human Resources department has a team of 17 and provides strategic HR support and guidance across all its operating divisions based in the UK. Our role is to provide both the employee and employer with procedures and practices that protect and give guidance in all human resource related matters.
The Human Resources department is split into five main areas:
• General HR administration
• Recruitment
• Employee Relations
• Compensation and Benefits
• Learning & Development

PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION:

To provide assistance to the Human Resources Department, particularly in the areas of Recruitment and HR administration.

This placement would provide an ideal opportunity to gain experience across all areas in our very busy HR department, working with employees at all levels of seniority. It also provides an opportunity to work on occasion alongside our 3 in- house employment lawyers on a range of employee relations and recruitment related matters.

KEY RESPONSIBILITIES:

General HR Administration

o Creating and maintaining accurate Personnel files
o Creating employment agreements and preparing payroll files for placement students
o Ensuring the legal right to work in the UK for employees
o Assisting with the organisation of onboarding presentations and training sessions for new employees
o Organising and tracking the completion of compulsory paperwork for third party contractors
o Responsibility for processing travel loan applications made by employees
o Producing a weekly HR report and handling other ad-hoc HR report requests
o Electronic and hard copy filing
o Providing assistance with HR events e.g. wellness initiatives
o Administering the eye care voucher scheme
o Maintaining our HR section of the Company intranet site
o Administration of the probation period reviews
o Liaising with line managers to ensure that return to work meetings have been held with all employees following periods of sick leave
o Provide additional general office admin support e.g. responding to employment, housing and visa reference requests from current and previous employees.

Involvement in:
o Shadowing the HR team during meetings e.g. sickness absence meetings, maternity leave meetings, exit interviews with employees who are leaving the business

Recruitment
o Coordinate the recruitment and assessment for the annual Placement Programme which involves;
• Liaising with Line Managers to write job specifications
• Responsibility for advertising the Placements both with Universities and outside providers
• Organising and attending University careers fairs
• Assisting with Interview selection
• Arranging and running assessment days
• Responsibility for reimbursement of Placement student travel expenses for assessment days.
• Responsibility for sending out Placement student contracts and new starter paperwork.
o Assist the Recruitment Programmes & Operations Advisor with recruitment administration, technology updates and special creative projects as required.
o Assist with the recruitment of the Apprentice programme where appropriate
o Ad hoc Recruitment Projects.

KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES:

• A good knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite including, Word and Excel.
• Experience of using the internet for research purposes.
• Experience in a customer facing office environment preferred.
• Must be well organised and self-disciplined, with the ability to prioritise workload and use time effectively.
• Must be able to take initiative and work with limited supervision.
• Must be able to work on multiple assignments/flexibly.
• Able to communicate with people at all levels in a professional and mature manner.
• Should be a team player with excellent interpersonal skills.
• Should have good GCSE and A levels results
• Should have an interest in generalist Human Resources, particularly Recruitment and HR Administration.

I couldn't have wished for a better place to work for my placement year. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here at Warner Bros. and have learnt so many things that I will able to use in the future. The amazing people that I work with and the culture of the company have had a huge part in my experience here at WB.

From the very start of my placement, I have felt like a valued member of my team. My colleagues are all very approachable and push for me to get the most out of my placement year. I have always felt like my work and presence in the team is valued.

I have been lucky enough to work with an amazing group of people who have all been willing to help, show guidance and support me throughout my time here at Warner Bros. I am in constant communication with both of my managers and have weekly catch ups to ensure than I am comfortable and on track with the work that I have been given.

With all jobs, there are some periods of time that are busier than others however I would say that although my daily tasks vary, the work load is fairly consistent. There is always something to do and lots of opportunities to get involved with other projects.

One of the best things about being on a placement at Warner Bros. is the amount of responsibility you are given as an intern. You are treated as an equal and this can be shown in type of work and projects that you are given to work on. My team and managers are always on hand if I need some help and/or assistance with the work I am required to complete.

Many of the skills that I have learnt on my placement are transferable and I will be able to use them throughout the rest of my studies and in life after university. My confidence with programmes such as excel has increased drastically and I believe that this has helped to me to become more time efficient. The training programme has been a very valuable part to my placement year.

There is always a positive vibe in the office, everyone in my team is very friendly and approachable and that makes the working environment a pleasure to be in.

The placement programme is run very well here at Warner Bros. From the induction process at the start of the year to the training, communication and opportunities available, the WB placement scheme is organised very well.

The company have invested in my skill development by allowing me to attend multiple external training courses.

My experience at Warner Bros. has been incredibly positive and I have enjoyed every moment of working here. There is no guarantee for future employment at Warner Bros. although I am aware of the candidate pool that WB run which helps to keep ex-interns in the loop of any potential job opportunities that are available.

With such a large group of interns and apprentices, there is a very good social scene at Warner Bros. We often all eat together at lunch, a lot of interns live together and there are a lot of out of work socials that take place. It has been a great way to meet so many different people and create friends with people from all over the country.

London is known for being more expensive than a lot of other areas however it is just something you accept to ensure it doesn't have a negative impact on your overall experience.

Working in central London means that there are loads of bars, restaurants, clubs etc to go to. The transport around London is very good and easy to use and therefore this makes going out a lot easier.

There are lots of different activities that you can get involved with, whether this is a club, charity event or sponsored event, there are a range of different things that you can do.