The insight week was an amazing experience that I would highly recommend to others. I learned so much about the different functions available and more about the Barclays culture too. It was also very enjoyable to network with other senior members and graduates present as they too shared their journey and experiences with us.
2. To what extent did you feel valued during your time at the company or firm?
Barclays definitely makes it clear in their company culture that their employees are well looked after and this insight week did not fail to let those standards slip. I definitely felt valued by HR, by Barclays and other employees. They even provided us with lunch every single day and just made me feel really welcomed.
3. How much guidance/support did you receive during the insight?
There was a lot of guidance and support received throughout the week. Firstly, HR were really friendly and kind in informing us how to excel in this week and key things we should be doing to make the most out of our week. Secondly, graduates were amazing in providing advice for the future and being able to reflect on their on experiences definitely provided further guidance.
4. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and information you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I have gained many skills throughout this week. Firstly, I have developed my teamwork skills by working on various group projects throughout the week including a final presentation. To add to that my public speaking skills and being able to network effectively has improved. This is really important and Barlcay's members really emphasised the importance of networking as it will help in future.
5. How well structured was the insight?
The insight week was very well structured. I could see all activities for the days ahead on an app so this helped me plan questions in advance and know what to expect from each day. The day was jam packed and intense on a few days however it was definitely worth it as in the end it was a rewarding experience.
6. How was the general atmosphere during your insight?
The general atmosphere was very relaxed and friendly. All of the interns got on well with each other and it was nice to meet people from different universities. Also whilst shadowing the atmosphere seemed very calm as well which demonstrates Barclays culture especially as they have a large emphasis on work life balance.
7. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
8. To what extent did the insight help you to understand what it would be like to have a full time role with the company or firm?
Insight sessions were really useful in understanding what a full time job what be at Barclays. Through using the knowledge gained from the insight sessions I was able to apply them in the workshops by working in groups to tackle the type of work I would be dealing with on a daily basis if I were to work in that function.
9. How much did the insight help you in understanding the company culture?
Insight programme really helped understand the company culture through talking to graduates at the networking sessions and also throughout the week by asking questions to vp's directors and senior members. Also through shadowing the graduates I got an idea of what the company culture is like and it is a very relaxed, open and collaborative place to work .
10. How valuable was the content of the day in helping you to decide on your future career path?
The content of the day was really useful because it gave me an insight into all 7 different functions as well as 2 shadowing rotations to see what each division does and where I would fit in. Also shadowing the graduated provided me with an insight to what the job entails.
11. Were you paid or reimbursed adequately for this experience?
12. Were there opportunities for networking and meeting other employees of the company or firm?
There were many opportunities to network throughout the week which I really enjoyed. Firstly there was a drinks reception organised for us showing how much Barclays really invests in you. This was a great opportunity to ask questions to graduates and senior members. There was also a speed networking session with senior members.
13. How were the networking/ social event opportunities?
The social events and networking events were really good. On the first day we got to know other people in the cohort better through icebreakers which was nice. Also networking with graduates and senior members was really useful in helping me decide what function to apply for. There were opportunities throughout the whole week for this.
14. Did you find out about activities that employees can get involved in outside of work?
15. Would you recommend this insight to a friend?
I would highly recommend this insight to a friend because it provides you with so many useful skills like presenting, public speaking etc. But I was also able to learn more about Barclays culture and how it truly invests in its employees. It was a great way to learn more about the different functions and the overlap between them.