7.4/10

• The Organisation
    7.7
  • Everything Else

First Year Insight Programme

2. It was very enjoyable. We did a number of different activities, all geared around a day in the life of a DLA Piper Solicitor. I particularly enjoyed just how friendly all the staff were, ranging from the Partners to the kitchen staff. I must also say the food was very nice aswell!

3. To what extent did you feel valued during your time at the company or firm?
  4. I felt very valued. We had an opening address from the Managing Partner, and numerous speeches by very important Partners, Senior Associates, and pre-Trainee solicitors. They sheer amount of money and time spent on the program was evidence enough of their commitment to help foster our legal careers. Very lovely!

5. How much guidance/support did you receive during the insight?
  6. The guidance we received was all very positive. The graduate recruitment team, who tended to spend all of their time with us, were always welcoming and open to questions. During the network exercise, where we were spoken to in small groups by a small number of associates, they were more than willing to answer any question that I had.

7. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and information you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
  8. The focus was not very centred on my degree, more the beyond phase. Obviously they stressed the importance of good grades and utilising extra curricular experiences, but the point of the insight was not geared around study skills. Instead, they advised on all experiences past this. In particular, they provided us with a valuable insight in to the application process at DLA

10. The structure was very good. It started with an ice breaker, where all the students had the opportunity to meet each other in a more informal environment. We then listened to a number of engaging talks from lawyers at different levels of the firm. On the second day, where people were more confident, the tasks became more interactive, such as negotiating and a dinner. The last day finished on a presentation.

12. The general atmosphere, I would describe, as warm, friendly and engaging. The students were encouraged to question the pathway taken by the associates into law. Everyone that we encountered were very friendly. Even when I was presenting in front of industry experts I did not feel at all daunted or intimidated, more like I was presenting to someone who genuinely wanted to hear my thoughts

13. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
  14. The compnay invested alot into my future. The meal was very expensive, along with all the food that they had provided for us. I also appreciate the time that everyone, especially the Partners, had sacrificed in addressing us on their respective areas of expertise. In some cases they even had to jet off to get back to a client!

15. To what extent did the insight help you to understand what it would be like to have a full time role with the company or firm?
  16. They provided me with an invaluable insight into what it meant to work at DLA Piper. In particular, on the first day, we had the opportunity to speak to people who were just about to begin their training contract. They provided us with very honest answers. This was helpful because they were closest to us in terms of age and experience.

17. How much did the insight help you in understanding the company culture?
  18. I feel very familiar to the company culture. Everything they had said to me provided me with an insight into the underlying culture and atmosphere of the firm. I very much liked what I was exposed to. Obviously, however, law firms tend to be very high pressured places, difficult to fully comprehend.

19. How valuable was the content in helping you to decide on your future career path?
  20. Every day was action-packed with very intriguing and stimulating activities which made waking up in the morning that bit easy! I particularly enjoyed the negotiating exercises as it prompted me to step outside of my comfort zone. They even gave me an award for winning the pitch. Very very interesting!

21. Were you paid or reimbursed adequately for this experience?
  22. They said that they would reimburse our travel expenses up to £100. If they exceeded this they would be willing to provide us with accommodation. I did not stay in the hotel. I was told that the hotel was very nice. They are very accommodating of everything that I had to pay for.

23. Were there opportunities for networking and meeting other employees of the company or firm?
  24. They were an innumerable number of chances to network and meet other employees of DLA Piper. On the first day, for instance, we did networking with some really impressive, and high up people within the firm. Compare that with what occurred afterwards, where we went to the top floor to enjoy some drinks with pre-Trainees

26. They were so so much fun. On the first day we had a networking workshop to prepare us with all the skills and tools that we would need for later on. We then spoke to some associates. On the second day we went to a fancy london restaurant, and enjoyed a set menu.

27. Did you find out about activities that employees can get involved in outside of work?

28. 5/10