1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I Really enjoyed my experience at Tata Steel. Compared to Previous jobs I really enjoyed the work it was both challenging and enjoyable.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt a lot of attention was given to me and I was constantly being asked how things was going and provided with plenty of guidance, work and free time to develop.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given constant guidance by line managers colleagues and managers. I was directed to always ask questions and reaffirmed that help is always available by everyone I spoke to. When I had a issue colleagues was quick to stop what they were doing and go out of their was to provided me assistance.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I found I had the perfect balance in my work load. Although some days could get very busy and others a little slow most days I knew what I was doing but still had enough free time for my personal development.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I wasn't given much responsibility at the start which was expected but the more aware I become and the more plant knowledge I had obtained the more responsibility I was given. I ran my own personal project during my time at Tata and was given sufficient access to the Plant and company systems.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I feel the skills I obtained will be very useful not only in my degree and studies but as a professional engineer further down my career. I was provided with 1 on 1 training as well as developing my personal skills through self review and individual action.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
I really enjoyed my work atmosphere, the close proximity to a large pool of engineering professionals meant that I was constantly learning and picking up new ideas. I enjoyed the company everyone was very welcoming and friendly.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
At the start they wasn't fully prepared and the work was slow but after the first month it really picked up and became a lot more structured once I knew what I was doing and given more responsibility.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
They invested a lot of time in my personal development including taking me on trips and visiting different plants. I managed to go to technological showcase events and moved about to pick up knowledge from a large variety of engineers who was all professionals in different fields.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Tata is a large company and I was able to witness different sections of the company when I visited different sites. They offer the chance to move about and their is employable opportunities all over the country.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Great social life provided by the company, these include company events, meals and works do's their is also a yammer group called magnet which aims on taking young professionals on trips and bonding experiences.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I worked in my home town which meant I was able to live at home with all of my friends and family.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Their is a great nightlife in Newport offering restaurants, sports events and a large variety of pubs & nightclubs.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes I attended a gym that I went to before work every day that included classes for a great price. I also joined a rugby team that I am still a part of and meet some close friends.